What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Jailbreaking - To do or Not to do?

TheDarknight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all I bought an iPad 2 around the middle of January and thoroughly liking it. Currently I am tedious to JBreak it and would just like some advice beforehand. Firstly I have had other iOS devices such as an iPhone 4 that were in warranty too.

Question 1: Can we please end the whole "Will this void my warranty?" and give me a dedicated and truthful answer as to whether it will void the warranty?

Question 2: Relating to the question above have Apple done anything different (Hardware or Software wise) so the JBreak can be detected in the the Apple Store even after a DFU Restore?

Question 3: What problems am I liking to run into that can Brick my iPad and would Apple exchange the iPad if so happens?

Question 4: Have there been any reports of problems with the iOS 5.0.1 JBreak?

Thanks and any help is appreciated :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the answers to your questions, take a look at this sticky so capably prepared by my fellow moderator, f4780y: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreaking-explained.html

After reading that, the only question that may not have gotten fully answered is your #4. And, the answer is - as long as you only load those tweaks and such that have already been vetted by the jail breaking community and refrain from wandering into piracy or questionable repos - you will be fine. See this thread for a ... well ... ultimate list of tweaks that run well on an iPad with iOS 5.0.1: http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

Most of the time, the trouble people have with jail breaking and any subsequent iPad misbehavior is due to "operator error."

Hope this helps and reassures. Good luck.

Marilyn

P.S. And, because you are wondering whether to jail break or not, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section of this forum. That's where the folk who've jail broken their iPads hang out...

Last edited:
OP
T

TheDarknight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok cheers. This has reassured me about Jailbreaking. IDK why I even started this thread due to me JBreaking while my iPhone was in warranty anyway and have had to rewturn it due to a faulty speaker. I think it was the fact that it is a new device to me and thinking Apple may have planted some form of anti-jailbreaking tool or hidden report tool.

Thanks soo much!

BTW What is "Operator Error"?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW What is "Operator Error"?

Operator error: Along the same lines as GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). As in, it's the operator (owner) of the iPad who usually messes up the iPad (or doesn't understand it) not the iPad, Apple or any iOS programming.

Sorry for the confusion, it's a phrase I used to use a lot (!) in my job...

Marilyn

OP
T

TheDarknight

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a quick message and question. Is it worth me jailbreaking under warranty. I know you can restore but people still disagree saying that there are actually files left behind from the JBreak which can send an Indication to Apple...

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TheDarknight said:
Just a quick message and question. Is it worth me jailbreaking under warranty. I know you can restore but people still disagree saying that there are actually files left behind from the JBreak which can send an Indication to Apple...

When you restore there are no files left behind......it's a clean install. So you have nothing to worry about.

The Archangel

Most reactions