What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 is official..details here xoom owned by ipad 2

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does people with wifi only versions constantly complain about gps. Whether 3g or not, no ipad version has a "true" gps chipset like n mobile phones n other devices. My wifi version ipad is always right on the money when im pinpointing my location. Only difference is 3g version has built in internet access. So what, i just tether thru my win mo wifi router program n i got same fast 3g speeds. Sheeesh! Do the homework. Actually wifi uses triangulation methods which are actually better than satellite in the cities. True gps is satellite only. 3g version has assisted gps, NOT True gps!
You are a little mistaken here....

The iPad 3G's GPS is every bit a true GPS. In the case of the iPad 3G (and iPhone), assisted GPS does what a regular GPS can do, but more. Heck I can turn the 3G radio on my iPhone completely off and the GPS is every bit as accurate--outdoors.

The "assisted" part comes in handy in places you can't see the sky very well, such as indoors, and in helping to get a sat-lock faster. In those cases the iPad 3G can use the cell network and/or WiFi to help. Most of the reason for assisted GPS is because of emergency response: if you are in your house and call the police in an emergency, and there is no sat view, AND you hung up before saying where you were, it could mean life or death in this age where many are no longer using land lines. Yes the iPad is not actually a phone but it uses the same radio and baseband as the iPhone (3GS).

Michael

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why does people with wifi only versions constantly complain about gps. Whether 3g or not, no ipad version has a "true" gps chipset like n mobile phones n other devices. My wifi version ipad is always right on the money when im pinpointing my location. Only difference is 3g version has built in internet access. So what, i just tether thru my win mo wifi router program n i got same fast 3g speeds. Sheeesh! Do the homework. Actually wifi uses triangulation methods which are actually better than satellite in the cities. True gps is satellite only. 3g version has assisted gps, NOT True gps!

The iPad 3G's GPS is every bit a true GPS. In the case of the iPad 3G (and iPhone), assisted GPS does what a regular GPS can do, but more. Heck I can turn the 3G radio on my iPhone completely off and the GPS is every bit as accurate--outdoors.

The "assisted" part comes in handy in places you can't see the sky very well, such as indoors, and in helping to get a sat-lock faster. In those cases the iPad 3G can use the cell network and/or WiFi to help. Most of the reason for assisted GPS is because of emergency response: if you are in your house and call the police in an emergency, and there is no sat view, AND you hung up before saying where you were, it could mean life or death in this age where many are no longer using land lines. Yes the iPad is not actually a phone but it uses the same radio and baseband as the iPhone (3GS).

Michael

Yeah, tweetpoet pointed that out to me also. My main point was that pinpointing location works on wifi versions also. People seem to think wifi only versions cant do sqaut when it comes to gps. Which it does wrk well if u live in the cities, which most people do. My wifi always pipmoints where im at exactly. Ive traveled with it tehtered n wrked just fine as navigation.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My win mo phome can act as a bluetooth gps...havent tried it out with the ipad yet though. Dont know how to go about doing it. Any thoughts?
If it acts as a standard bluetooth GPS is could very well work.

If you are jailbroken you can try BTStackGPS, a Cydia app, and see if you can utilize your phone as a GPS. That would be awesome.

Michael

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Michael

Yeah, tweetpoet pointed that out to me also. My main point was that pinpointing location works on wifi versions also. People seem to think wifi only versions cant do sqaut when it comes to gps. Which it does wrk well if u live in the cities, which most people do. My wifi always pipmoints where im at exactly. Ive traveled with it tehtered n wrked just fine as navigation.

Everyone knows that wifi versions can pinpoint your location. That's not the point. The point is wifi models don't have A-GPS and that prevents users from installing some driving GPS apps like Motion X.

This is a key selling point for me which is why I made my post earlier in the thread.

So, for users that need to use GPS apps (not just Maps), then the 3G model is the way to go. My understanding is that even if you pair an external GPS module to a wifi model, you still can't install some driving GPS apps from the App Store. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to the tech specs, A-GPS is still only available on 3G models.

Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad.

I will second that the GPS is a huge selling point, especially if you want to take advantage of the mobility that the iPad offers.

I returned my WiFi only model after realizing it didn't have A-GPS and will be getting an iPad2 next week.
The WiFi only 16GB iPad sold more than any other model. Methinks sale were pretty good even without GPS. One could argue that adding GPS and increasing the price higher than $499 might be over the sweet spot that helped those sales.

I should note I only have the WiFi version... But I didn't realize it didn't have GPS till return period was up, else I would have exchanged it for 3G (but would not have used 3G).

Also, my iPad is jailbroken so I am actually able to connect to a bluetooth gps unit if I wanted to... can get one for around $50 or so. But now I want iPad 2 so probably will go with 3G version. :)

Michael

You're right on point.

There's no question that the $499 price point attributed to the success of the 16GB WiFi. Also, I think a lot of ipad users bought the device with the intent to use it as a couch computer and media viewing device... so 3G wasn't really a necessity.

I have the same intentions you did... I'll be getting a 3G model but will not be activating a data plan.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone knows that wifi versions can pinpoint your location. That's not the point. The point is wifi models don't have A-GPS and that prevents users from installing some driving GPS apps like Motion X.

This is a key selling point for me which is why I made my post earlier in the thread.

So, for users that need to use GPS apps (not just Maps), then the 3G model is the way to go. My understanding is that even if you pair an external GPS module to a wifi model, you still can't install some driving GPS apps from the App Store. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
If you really are going to use GPS for driving apps with a Wifi iPad jb'd to use an external GPS you might as well use something with on board maps, such as Navigon, which will install.

That said I think just about all of the GPS apps I use with my iPhone 4, mainly Navigon and GPS Drive, install and run on my wifi iPad.

Michael

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bouviersdad68 said:
Does any present owner of a I Pad feel screwed over by the release of I Pad v.2?

While I fully understand the need for Apple to improve their products, I cannot believe that Apple did not have these v.2 improvements already on the "drawing boards" at the time they released v.1.

Apple, has been overwhelmingly successful this past year, registering record profits and soaring prices for their stock.
How greedy can you be, taking advantage, (especially in this economy) by releasing v.2 so soon after the release of v.1?

While many of Apple's loyal customers are genuinely excited at Apple's making a "magical", product truly improved, (us early adopters), I feel that Apple, has indeed, demonstrated, that any prospective purchaser of the release of a new product, should keep their hard earned cash in their wallet - wait at least a year, so that Apple does not use your loyalty and enthusiasm, to pick your pocket. Anyone annoyed?

Nope. Not in the least. Thanks for playing, though.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
To those who are buying an iPad2, what new functionality other than camera related things is it going to offer over you iPad? Everything I read about the iPad will also be able to do, including the HDMI.

I like the idea of a more power CPU and GPU as well as at the thinner form factor (the weight difference is so small it's negligible and, besides, the original's 1.5 lbs isn't an issue with me). Though I haven't really missed a front-facing camera because I rarely ever have need or desire to video chat with anyone, a rear-facing camera IS enticing. Yeah, I know, it seems awkward to hold up your iPad and use it as a camera. But let's face it...the most effective camera is the one you have at the moment (which is analogous to the best camera being the one you use the most). There are many times I'm reading a magazine or doing something on my iPad when I see something that looks like it would make a nice photo. But some of those times I don't have my phone (EVO 4G) with me OR the moment is so fleeting that by the time I fished the phone out of my hip holster and aim it, the subject or moment is gone. With the back-facing camera in the iPad, at least I have that option to immediately snap a photo before the moment slips away. That, my friend, is huge. "Kodak moments" are precious, far and few in between.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
In an interesting report this morning, a reputable Android app developer was shocked to find out that one of his apps was pulled by Google with no notice. he only found out because his royalties stopped coming in. When he tried to find out why, Google would not discuss it with him, and when he did get someone to talk, he was told he violated some rule, but not what rule, and that if he complained too much, or did it again, all his apps would be pulled. Talk about heavy handed! He is getting a coalition of android app developers together to force Google to listen to them.

Heh...good luck with that.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad100 said:
I'm half and half on iPad2 - impressed at dual-core processor (that must be a huge improvement), dissappointed at not more than 512MB RAM (1GB seems the obvious choice) and not more than 64GB storage. Thinner/lighter is always good, claimed 10 hour battery life is impressive with cpu and other enhancements. Cameras, phht, who cares? I'm not going to run around taking snaps with my huge iPad, and I'm not into webcams, etc.

Mainly seems to me they could have gone to a 128MB disk / 1 GB RAM model on this one, but then what would be left for iPad3? ;-)

I have a 64GB iPad and I still have about 73% of space left, even after all the crap I have on it already. I'm satisfied with the capacity. Granted, I don't have much music on it. I'm a Zune HD user and I'm very happy with it for my canned music while the iPad is a great for listening to web radio like Pandora, TuneIn, etc. while I do stuff on it.

I'm all for the thinner form factor, better processor and GPU. The thing that swings that for me is the battery life is still just as good. I didn't think they could pull it off, but they surprised me.

Like you, I originally thought "Cameras? Who cares?" True, I have zero interest in a front-facing camera as I generally have no need to use FaceTime or some other video chat. However....a rear facing camera (not necessarily for video, though) would definitely come in handy. As a photographer, I can honestly say these two maxims hold true:

1) Your best camera is the one you use the most.
2) Your most effective camera is the one you have in your hands at the moment.

There are many times that I'm out and about with my iPad, reading a magazine, doing a crossword puzzle, surfing the web, etc. when something catches my eye...a "Kodak moment", if you will. Some of those moments are so fleeting that, by the time I've reached down to pull my EVO 4G from its hip holster (that's IF I even have it with me at the time), activate the camera on it and aim it, the moment/subject is gone. POOF. There goes my opportunity at a great shot. No way am I gonna be constantly holding the EVO in one hand or having it at the ready on some cafe outside table just for a shot. But with the rear-facing camera on the iPad, that changes things. I see something that looks like it's just not going to last but a few seconds, I can lift up the iPad and snap a quick shot. Much like when I'm walking around with my DSLR in hand, cap off and turned on, at the ready. That, my friend, is effective photography. And don't get me started on the subject of resolution, pixels and all that crap. I KNOW the iPad will never come close to the quality of a DSLR and it may only be so much better than a cell phone camera in some respect, the point is many "Kodak moments" are precious, far and few in between and-in some cases-quite beautiful in their own right.

So my attitude about having a camera on the iPad 2 HAS changed, so long as we're addressing the REAR facing camera.

The one big concern I have had about my current iPad is the fact that it only has 256MB of RAM. I keep asking myself "Geez...this is 2010/2011 and somebody is STILL using such small amounts of RAM in a modern multi-function computing device?" Sure, the apps are reasonably small and such, but the minute you get involved with multi-tasking or at least fast app switching, you're asking for trouble with such limited RAM. But, I'm hearing the iPad 2 comes with 512MB. That's an improvement for sure, especially in the face of a more efficient processor, though the it's on par with the amount of RAM on my EVO 4G (also 512MB). 1GB would've been optimal but if the A5 dual core processor hauls nicely on 515MB, I'm not going to complain.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hasty said:
"The Xoom tablet is trim, light, and very pretty ... but when you place it next to the iPad 2, it looks as though it was designed and built by angry Soviet prison labor instead of by Motorola."

Andy Ihnatko in todays Chicago Sun-Times

Motorola = PWNED!

You gotta admit, Apple sure makes QUALITY hardware that not only flat-out works, it just looks downright sexy.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has spent 10 years developing the iPad every one else is catch up..... That does not mean they cannot produce better products but at the end of the day Apple's investment in product development not to mention a range of products that use same iOS makes it easier for buyers and consumers to make decisions which platform they wish to go with.

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My win mo phome can act as a bluetooth gps...havent tried it out with the ipad yet though. Dont know how to go about doing it. Any thoughts?
If it acts as a standard bluetooth GPS is could very well work.

If you are jailbroken you can try BTStackGPS, a Cydia app, and see if you can utilize your phone as a GPS. That would be awesome.

Michael

I will try that out. Thnkx. By the way, aint Michael a great name? ;-) same here

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad100 said:
I'm half and half on iPad2 - impressed at dual-core processor (that must be a huge improvement), dissappointed at not more than 512MB RAM (1GB seems the obvious choice) and not more than 64GB storage. Thinner/lighter is always good, claimed 10 hour battery life is impressive with cpu and other enhancements. Cameras, phht, who cares? I'm not going to run around taking snaps with my huge iPad, and I'm not into webcams, etc.

Mainly seems to me they could have gone to a 128MB disk / 1 GB RAM model on this one, but then what would be left for iPad3? ;-)

I have a 64GB iPad and I still have about 73% of space left, even after all the crap I have on it already. I'm satisfied with the capacity. Granted, I don't have much music on it. I'm a Zune HD user and I'm very happy with it for my canned music while the iPad is a great for listening to web radio like Pandora, TuneIn, etc. while I do stuff on it.

I'm all for the thinner form factor, better processor and GPU. The thing that swings that for me is the battery life is still just as good. I didn't think they could pull it off, but they surprised me.

Like you, I originally thought "Cameras? Who cares?" True, I have zero interest in a front-facing camera as I generally have no need to use FaceTime or some other video chat. However....a rear facing camera (not necessarily for video, though) would definitely come in handy. As a photographer, I can honestly say these two maxims hold true:

1) Your best camera is the one you use the most.
2) Your most effective camera is the one you have in your hands at the moment.

There are many times that I'm out and about with my iPad, reading a magazine, doing a crossword puzzle, surfing the web, etc. when something catches my eye...a " moment", if you will. Some of those moments are so fleeting that, by the time I've reached down to pull my EVO 4G from its hip holster (that's IF I even have it with me at the time), activate the camera on it and aim it, the moment/subject is gone. POOF. There goes my opportunity at a great shot. No way am I gonna be constantly holding the EVO in one hand or having it at the ready on some cafe outside table just for a shot. But with the rear-facing camera on the iPad, that changes things. I see something that looks like it's just not going to last but a few seconds, I can lift up the iPad and snap a quick shot. Much like when I'm walking around with my DSLR in hand, cap off and turned on, at the ready. That, my friend, is effective photography. And don't get me started on the subject of resolution, pixels and all that crap. I KNOW the iPad will never come close to the quality of a DSLR and it may only be so much better than a cell phone camera in some respect, the point is many "Kodak moments" are precious, far and few in between and-in some cases-quite beautiful in their own right.

So my attitude about having a camera on the iPad 2 HAS changed, so long as we're addressing the REAR facing camera.

The one big concern I have had about my current iPad is the fact that it only has 256MB of RAM. I keep asking myself "Geez...this is 2010/2011 and somebody is STILL using such small amounts of RAM in a modern multi-function computing device?" Sure, the apps are reasonably small and such, but the minute you get involved with multi-tasking or at least fast app switching, you're asking for trouble with such limited RAM. But, I'm hearing the iPad 2 comes with 512MB. That's an improvement for sure, especially in the face of a more efficient processor, though the it's on par with the amount of RAM on my EVO 4G (also 512MB). 1GB would've been optimal but if the A5 dual core processor hauls nicely on 515MB, I'm not going to complain.

Very valid points.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The trouble is you are thinking in computer terms where hardware matters more. With iOS your in a different game, what Job's calls post-pc.
I'dont worry what make of carb my car has as long as it works. It's a total package.
Remember when every new pc came out with better specs, we were never done upgrading and the response was bigger and bigger installs of software, like office, which did more and more things we never used.
If garage band can run on 512mb of ram thats good enough for me. Indeed I think it can run on 256 even (iPad 1), but doubt it's that great.
iOS is software restraint and I'm all for that. As Gruber said, it's a shame the term personal pc was used all those years ago as that's what the iPad is becoming.

Most reactions

Latest posts