What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 is official..details here xoom owned by ipad 2

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hardware wise I think it is a bit of a stretch to say the iPad 2 "owns" the Xoom. I would say Apple did what it needed to do to stay on a level playing field with the current and soon to be released Android tablets. Both have comparable processing and graphics capabilities so I would call that a wash. When it comes to ports the Xoom comes out ahead. When it comes to apps the iPad has the Android tablets by the short hairs. This will be an interesting year to sit back and see what happens. After seeing what Apple brought with the iPad2 I have no doubt that there will be an iPad3 before the year is out.

OP
D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hardware wise I think it is a bit of a stretch to say the iPad 2 "owns" the Xoom. I would say Apple did what it needed to do to stay on a level playing field with the current and soon to be released Android tablets. Both have comparable processing and graphics capabilities so I would call that a wash. When it comes to ports the Xoom comes out ahead. When it comes to apps the iPad has the Android tablets by the short hairs. This will be an interesting year to sit back and see what happens. After seeing what Apple brought with the iPad2 I have no doubt that there will be an iPad3 before the year is out.

I meant as far as the new spec beef up alomg with the endless ipad apps. Ipad wins. No matter if xoom the most powerful tablet in the world, it doesnt mean jwck if u dont have decent software to push the capabilities. Which xoom has no major apps to turn heads. They have measley 100 tablet only apps along with thousands of mobile phone apps. Ipad standimg stromg at over 65,000 ipad tablet only apps, along with the even more numerous iphone apps. If u dont have good software, u not gonna go far in this tablet business. U dont see the news or threads or tech sites comstantly talking bout how great xoom is, they all still praising original ipad on all its accomplishments n now the ipad 2.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant as far as the new spec beef up alomg with the endless ipad apps. Ipad wins. No matter if xoom the most powerful tablet in the world, it doesnt mean jwck if u dont have decent software to push the capabilities. Which xoom has no major apps to turn heads. They have measley 100 tablet only apps along with thousands of mobile phone apps. Ipad standimg stromg at over 65,000 ipad tablet only apps, along with the even more numerous iphone apps. If u dont have good software, u not gonna go far in this tablet business. U dont see the news or threads or tech sites comstantly talking bout how great xoom is, they all still praising original ipad on all its accomplishments n now the ipad 2.

I agree with you. The hardware platform is largely irrelevant.. The available apps is what pushes the platform forward. Still, Honeycomb is all of two weeks old right now so I am not going to simply write off the competition just yet. I remember when the first iPod Touch came out and there was NO app store at all. I am fairly invested in the iOS platform as a iPod Touch and iPad owner so I have a vested interest in seeing iOS remain strong. Still, I hope Android makes serious inroads in this market. I hope Google doesn't get greedy and start asking for fees from every company selling content that can be used on the platform. I hope developers embrace Android. That is the only way that we consumers will come out on top.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read an article about the resolution issue on the iPad 2. Besides the issue of Retina displays not being available from manufacturers, the article brought up these issues. Apple took three models to increase the resolution on the iPhone. While doubling the resolution would be easier for the app designers, it is more expensive to make and that much resolution is counterproductive on a larger screen meant to be seen from a further distance than an iPhone. Ideal resolution is probably around 1500-1600, but it will need all the existing iPad apps to be modified to work properly. Sure to piss off the app designers. The more I read about the decisions that have to be made, it is amazing how they get it all done. I can see how this takes years to bring to market.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:

You do see reports that Xoom feels like a hardware and software beta with many subtle problems when you read the honest reviews.

Some of that is Honey Comb itself still sucks compared to iOS when you really start using it.

After the mother of all malware was found on Googles trusted market site yesterday the whole issue for most businesses is moot. Android is not safe for everyday use by normal people and that is beginning to sink in to even the dullest user.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

According to that reasoning the iPad owns the Xoom.

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:

You do see reports that Xoom feels like a hardware and software beta with many subtle problems when you read the honest reviews.

Some of that is Honey Comb itself still sucks compared to iOS when you really start using it.

After the mother of all malware was found on Googles trusted market site yesterday the whole issue for most businesses is moot. Android is not safe for everyday use by normal people and that is beginning to sink in to even the dullest user.

Xoom was rushed to beat the iPad 2 to market. Its a flawed design to begin with and the SoC its running is meh at best. Its obvious because the SDK for Honeycomb was released a day before the Xoom.

As for the malware, yea that was pretty bad. Not that big of an issue overall and thankfully Google will have to address it by changing something. Android is safe however for businesses and will only bet better. They are investing heavily in enterprise as evidenced here:

Motorola subsidiary 3LM to offer enterprise-class device management for Android; HTC, Sony Ericsson, others on board -- Engadget

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read an article about the resolution issue on the iPad 2. Besides the issue of Retina displays not being available from manufacturers, the article brought up these issues. Apple took three models to increase the resolution on the iPhone. While doubling the resolution would be easier for the app designers, it is more expensive to make and that much resolution is counterproductive on a larger screen meant to be seen from a further distance than an iPhone. Ideal resolution is probably around 1500-1600, but it will need all the existing iPad apps to be modified to work properly. Sure to piss off the app designers. The more I read about the decisions that have to be made, it is amazing how they get it all done. I can see how this takes years to bring to market.

It comes down to not having the technology. Nothing out there right now could push the pixels needed to double the resolution to create a retina display and still be able to play graphically intense games. This fall however that shouldn't be an issue if the rumors of quad core monsters are true.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
But the ipad2 having 2x CPU processing power thn orig. And 9x the graphical processing power thn original is a "Major" big deal. I want to have cams sooooo badly to be able to video chat my family as they all have EVO from sprint n video chat with each other all the time. I will be thinkn very hard on this new ipad2. It makes me wonder about ipad3 now. Should i hold out n wait or keep up with the jones's and get this ipad2 next week? Choices, choices, choices!

For me the choice is easy: skip iPad2 and wait for 3. Simple reason being hardware advancements will always follow new product releases, and I been through too many product launches to get sucked in by the initial wow factor. Ultimately, for this upgrade, cool as the updated specs are, there's nothing there which is "drop-dead must have" for me. The mileage may vary for other users, of course.

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, has anyone found a reliable source of information on how much RAM the iPad 2 will contain?

I plan to get an iPad 2, personally. I also plan to continue to use this iPad. Does what I bought it for and does it very well. I have room for more than one. I was considering a Xoom, but that all went out the window after the release today on all the iPad 2 can do, along with the reports of viruses in Android app market.

I also buy what Jobs said about this type of device is more than just hardware and software. There's a synergy with Apple that is tangible when I use my iPad. I like it a lot. It creates a portal. A little open portal that I can see so clearly through and interface with... My notebook is not very useful anymore.

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i didn't really see any "owning" more than just catching up. the ipad finally has some features that come standard in so many other android tablets. except for some of the features you'll have to lay extra cash for.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sowellca said:
So, has anyone found a reliable source of information on how much RAM the iPad 2 will contain?

I plan to get an iPad 2, personally. I also plan to continue to use this iPad. Does what I bought it for and does it very well. I have room for more than one. I was considering a Xoom, but that all went out the window after the release today on all the iPad 2 can do, along with the reports of viruses in Android app market.

I also buy what Jobs said about this type of device is more than just hardware and software. There's a synergy with Apple that is tangible when I use my iPad. I like it a lot. It creates a portal. A little open portal that I can see so clearly through and interface with... My notebook is not very useful anymore.

I am forcing myself to use only a iPad for four or five days now, to see if it could be done.
I have become much more familiar with key iPa apps as a result.

Not too bad so far.

The Android mess has doubled from 21 malware to over fifty found by Google last night.

It appears at least one of these has been there for about one month according to what I read on the LOOP security blog.

That is not good!

You might want to use Bing to find out more as Google has a vested interest in covering this news up.

No reasonable person would suspect Google would ever alter search results, would they?

madsquabbles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Android mess has doubled from 21 malware to over fifty found by Google last night.

It appears at least one of these has been there for about one month according to what I read on the LOOP security blog.

from what i read, the malware affects older versions android. the hole that's exploited was patched in recent versions of android.

this is the biggest downside of fragmentation and the fact that it's up to the cell phone mfg's whether or not to update a phone to a current, more secure os version. at least with apple every device can run the same os version.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Garage band will be fun. But do you think there will be a way for first gen ipad owners to load movies onto the iPad to edit with iMovie?

I can't believe the 9x faster graphics :( if only I had a way to get hold of the new iPad without loosing money selling the one I have. Ahh well that's what happens with technology these days.

Thats what driving me crazy about this. I uv da one i have now but really like the new one. Enough improvemnts to make me want one.
Very good question u asked. Actually, with new 4.3 ios on original device, i dont see why a jailbroken ipad with ifiles cant load a movie into imovies app to edit. I would hate to have to sync with itunes for that. I say technically, yes it should be able to be done. With jailbroken ipad and ifiles, u can load whatever movie or file into ipad without the need of itunes. Then just put it in the proper imovies folder or section. N Bam, now u editing movies. I really believe u should be able to. I know once it comes out, ima try it. Ill let u know if it works. I dont think imovies is exclusove to ipad2, proably more of an ios 4.3 thing. Good question though ;-)

No need to jailbreak to do all that. You can upload movies from iPhoto, or get a MobileMe account and shoot video with your iPhone upload it to MobileMe and download it to iMovie.

I don't think I movie will be exclusive to iPad 2....iOS 4.3 will be available to iPad 1 on march 11.

Last edited:
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
No need to jailbreak to do all that. You can upload movies from iPhoto, or get a MobileMe account and shoot video with your iPhone upload it to MobileMe and download it to iMovie.

I don't think I movie will be exclusive to iPad 2....iOS 4.3 will be available to iPad 1 on march 11.

You can indeed load movies via iTunes onto iMovie, however the app itself is only available for iPad 2, iPhone 4 and iPod touch 4th gen.

Considering the specs of the latter two, it seems to be the RAM preventing it to work on iPad 1.

Most reactions

Latest posts