What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD 2 Is Asking For A Passcode I Don't Have

Patten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I posted this in ipad2 forum first but then thought it was more general than specific to ipad2 so I have posted it here also.

I am using a IPAD 2 running ios 9.3.1. Everything has been running good. Used it yesterday with no problem. Today it ask for a passcode. I don't have one for ipad but I tried putting those passwords I do use in but it will not accept them. At first ipad showed up in iTunes and it looked ok I think. It did let me make a backup so I have all current data saved. Now when I bring ipad up it will not show up in iTunes at all. It does show up in File Explorer but only shows how much memory is available. So what can I do. How many choises do I have if any. Is there a way to just delete all the data on ipad and do a recovery with the backup on my pc? The fact it just started asking for a passcode is a little strange. Any help will be appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Patten - welcome to the forum! :) Unfortunately, you've ended up 'double posting' which is poor forum etiquette and causes confusion as to which thread to put a response - so, a mod needs to come along and delete one of these threads so the conversation can be limited and best understood by all - sorry. Dave

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Patten; welcome to the forum.

I have deleted your duplicate post, so you're all good there.

Since you have a back-up, why don't you try to restore your iPad using the steps outlined here:

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

This method is not supposed to delete your data, but it basically "reloads" the iOS only.

If that works, great. If not, come back and let us know and we'll try something else. Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
P

Patten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks. I did the hold down the power and home and I did get the iTunes logo and the cable symbol but nothing happened after that. No progress bar. After a while the ipad shut down. Patten

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's another option:
If you use Find my iPad, use iCloud to erase it.
Login to www.icloud.com/find on a computer, select Devices, choose your iPad and erase it.
When it's connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular network, it will start erasing, and this will set it back to default.

OP
P

Patten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excellent idea J.A. except I registered my wife's but not mine If I take it to a Apple retail store will they be able to unlock it? Will it wipe out all the data if they do? Will they charge me a ransom amount to do it?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then your only option is recovery mode. Try it again, as described in Mickey330's link above.

This time, wait. iTunes will start loading the software that has to be installed on your iPad. If it needs more than 15 minutes, you won't notice any progress on the iPad. Your iPad will exit recovery mode, while iTunes continues downloading. Keep your device connected to the computer.

As soon as iTunes has finished loading the iOS, you'll have to repeat the steps to get into recovery mode (press and hold Home and Power button until the connect to iTunes screen appears). A popup should appear, asking you if you'd like to update or restore. Select Restore. Then you should notice that iTunes starts restoring your iPad.

OP
P

Patten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the end of the story is I had to take it to the Apple store and they said when I did the update and it first ask for a passcode I should have chosen Skip. I didn't even see a Skip choice. Anyway that screwed it up and it had to be wiped. I had them do that and now I just have to reload the apps. Not to bad. I mostly use it for reading. I do still have one question. I still don't see it in iTunes like I use to. I know it is talking to the pc because I just transfered a file from the pc to ipad using fileapp. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help. This is a good help site. Patten

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure iTunes and your computer are up to date. Unplug everything except for your iPad, and try it again. If you get the popup on your iPad, asking whether or not you're trusting this computer, select Trust.
Restart iPad and computer, try connecting it again.

OP
P

Patten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did as you said.i got nothing on the ipad. ON the pc I got a explorer file with ipad highlighted and the amount of memory available but thats all. no ipad icon on the itunes screen.

OP
P

Patten

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uninstall/Reinstall worked. Thanks much. I know you don't think I will ever go away but there is one other issue with the ipad. When I hooked up my ipad on my computer it called the ipad Bette's IPAD. Thats my wife's . She has her own pc and a mini ipad. Hers seems to be working ok. What could be wrong?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello again Patten - glad that your problem was solved - congrats! :)

Regarding the 'name' of your iPad - go into Settings -> General -> Name - I suspect that your device is called 'Bette's iPad', if so change to name to what you desire. Dave

Most reactions