What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 iPad ad hoc communication network

guidobeck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a need to be able to have say 4 iPads communicate with each other in real time. The issue is there is no Internet so it cannot be done thru the cloud. My idea is to create an ad hoc wireless network with a router. Then connect all the iPads to that access point. The iPads would need to be able to share data in real time. Everyone would basically be looking at the same screen. They could all input changes to the data on the screen a d see those changes in real time. This could be a dedicated app designed to do this or even just the ability to all view an excel spreadsheet. Ideally we would only have the iPads but if needed we could put 1 laptop on the network to act as a server and main data entry point. I am not an IT guy and do not understand all the ways information is shared or pushed out to tablets. The system is intended for use on a ship at sea thus the reason for no Internet or cloud options. If any or my terms are misused or you need more info let me know. Also if there is a better title for this to help other find this thread in the future please let me know.

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
I have a need to be able to have say 4 iPads communicate with each other in real time. The issue is there is no Internet so it cannot be done thru the cloud. My idea is to create an ad hoc wireless network with a router. Then connect all the iPads to that access point. The iPads would need to be able to share data in real time. Everyone would basically be looking at the same screen. They could all input changes to the data on the screen a d see those changes in real time. This could be a dedicated app designed to do this or even just the ability to all view an excel spreadsheet. Ideally we would only have the iPads but if needed we could put 1 laptop on the network to act as a server and main data entry point. I am not an IT guy and do not understand all the ways information is shared or pushed out to tablets. The system is intended for use on a ship at sea thus the reason for no Internet or cloud options. If any or my terms are misused or you need more info let me know. Also if there is a better title for this to help other find this thread in the future please let me know.

Having been working on vessels myself, I doubt you will have a good wifi coverage without a specially designed wifi network.
May I ask what you want to achieve with your setup???

OP
G

guidobeck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The goal is to have a portable set-up, so we will bring our own wireless access points and our own iPads. Install a temporary system that will allow 4 to 6 locations share data in realtime. All of the locations will be within 200 feet of each other. Personally I am not worried about making the network. I need to understand if there are ways that iPads can share info in realtime like they can do with a cloud based app when there is no access to a cloud system.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The goal is to have a portable set-up, so we will bring our own wireless access points and our own iPads. Install a temporary system that will allow 4 to 6 locations share data in realtime. All of the locations will be within 200 feet of each other. Personally I am not worried about making the network. I need to understand if there are ways that iPads can share info in realtime like they can do with a cloud based app when there is no access to a cloud system.

the network part is easy if you have a router and can create a wireless network with the correct gateway (as the router) and they should be able to ping each other. This is true for any device not just ipads. Same for sharing information. Any device can share realtime data and this is based on the application (i.e it is a function of the application and not the device) that you will use. so it is the application that implement realtime sharing of data (not the ipad) by using network communication. Really there is no problem why you cannot implement this. Do you know which application you are going to use?

Most reactions

Latest posts