What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 internal (headphone)sound is quite low!

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok so I got the 64 gig wifi white one..I am a music buff so I put in my SONY XBR 700 headphones ( bass heavy and loud..24ohm)....And straight away I felt the difference in loudness and bass...it's quite (very) low in comparison to my iPod nano (140$ only)..the punch of the bass is missing as well..I had to check several times with the sound level on the ipad as I cud not believe it! :(

I do have a small amp to boost it but didnt want to carry it all around! Btw my f/w is 4.3.5..if it's got anything to do with that.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you new to the iPad? There are seperate volume levels for with and without speakers. Not to sound ignorant but have you tried turning up the volume once the headphones are plugged in and the music is playing?

OP
iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yes i know hoe to use an ipad :) And yes its quite low as compared to ipod nano pr iphone 3G both which i own :( even my frnds ipad 1...so ipad in general is quite low on loudness and bass!

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you ensured that you haven't got the 'volume limit' activated? If that's not the case I'm wondering whether it might be an actual problem with your iPad as I can listen to music through my headphones on just 1 or 2 bars most of the time.

OP
iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
no problems dude..its a 2 day old ipad 2 and i checked my friends too...i guess u need to listen to the ipod nano first and then the ipad...then u will know the difference.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does it sound normal through the inboard speaker? If so, there may be an issue with the headphone port and it is not getting a full connection. Try pulling the headphone connection out slightly on the nano to compare. Does it sound similar?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
no man i heard i my friends ipad too..its the same..everywhere...it is a fact that ipad is less loud and bassier than the ipod or iphone

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ahh, okay, you are making a general observation about the iPad. I thought you were seeing an isolated issue on your device.

OP
iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yea lol...it was a general observation and not a defect! :p

OP
iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK GUYS..I have finally solved the problem..This sound low problem is only with the EUROPEAN and ASIAN shipped ipads as they are set to low levels due to country regulations..Here in INDIA its the same as EUROPE...The US ipads are loud as there is no sound restriction by GOVT. So this only works for ipads sold outside US. and it really works! My iPad 2 [India] is double in sound now through the heaphones :)

Note: No changes in speaker volume..Only Headphones or internal.

The solution to this problem is :-

Step 1)- The first thing you have to do is Jailbreak your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. If you have not done this already there are many how to guides you can find around

Step 2) - Next you are going to need to install the following Cydia tweak to your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad:

iFile

Step 3) - open iFile. When you open iFile you should see a screen like this:

IMG_0185.jpg

Step 4) - With iFile open click on var in the top left corner, then click /

You are now in the root folder.

Click System then Library then PrivateFrameworks and then Celestial.framework.

Browse for the RegionalVolumeLimits.plist file and click on it. Upon click on the blue arrow and set the permission to 777

Now clicking the file you should be presented with the options depicted below.

6bj6B.png

Step 5) - Click on Property List Viewer. Upon doing so you now have all of the volume settings for your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad in front of you.

IMG_0188.jpg

Change all the values in this file as shown above from 0,83 to 25. Which means setting the volume limit from 83% to 125%.

UPDATE: For ios 5+ its -
System/Library/PrivateFramewor
*ks/MediaToolbox.framework/Regi
*onalVolumeLimits.plist

For those of you that are running ios 6.0 or 6.01 :- its now under /system/library/frameworks/med*iatoolbox.framework

Last edited:

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very interesting, learn something new every day.....Just curious, why is it that the volume has to be locked down?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Very interesting, learn something new every day.....Just curious, why is it that the volume has to be locked down?

I could be wrong, but I think some countries limit sound volume due to hearing loss prevention

Sent from The Droid... The one you were looking for...

OP
iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes its due to the hearing safety regulations..but even the max volume of ipad cant do that.Technically :p

Sent from my iPad 2 white 64 gb (ios 5.0.1) using iPF

OP
iRuthlessPad

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
for those of you that are running ios 6.0 or 6.01, its now under /system/library/frameworks/med*iatoolbox.framework

Most reactions