What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 - Increasing Memory

Teazel Town

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently own an IPad 2 (16GB) Is there anyway of increasing this memory on my existing IPad or do I need to upgrade to a bigger tablet? I'm having trouble loading apps and I keep getting the message to increase memory by going to my settings? Unfortunately, I'm not very technically gifted when it comes to this type of thing so any guidance would be appreciated.
Kind regards Alan

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I currently own an IPad 2 (16GB) Is there anyway of increasing this memory on my existing IPad or do I need to upgrade to a bigger tablet? I'm having trouble loading apps and I keep getting the message to increase memory by going to my settings? Unfortunately, I'm not very technically gifted when it comes to this type of thing so any guidance would be appreciated.
Kind regards Alan

Unfortunately, there is no way to increase the memory size of the iPad. The only way is to buy one with more storage.

Note that this applies for things such as putting apps on it. However, there are external storage solutions such as cloud storage (such as Dropbox) or physical iPad-compatible drives to increase storage (such as the Air Stash or the Seagate external drives).

But, if you want to put more apps on the iPad than your memory will hold, your only solution is to delete some apps you already have installed or get a bigger iPad. Sorry.

Marilyn

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Teazel Town said:
Kind regards Alan

Hello teasel town. When you get that message it means you have too many apps running in background. To close those apps, double click home button. the screen will pull up and reveal the shelf. Press an app until apps wiggle and press the minus sign on all apps you want to close. This will free up your ram to open other apps. I hope that helps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Matt. Didn't realize we were talking about RAM here, not system memory. I've never seen that notice...

Learned something new. Thanks! And, Teazel Town, I hope that fixes your issue (mush easier than getting a new iPad! :) ).

Marilyn

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Thanks, Matt. Didn't realize we were talking about RAM here, not system memory. I've never seen that notice...

Learned something new. Thanks! And, Teazel Town, I hope that fixes your issue (mush easier than getting a new iPad! :) ).

Marilyn

The only reason I suggested that solution is because I got a similar message on my iPad2 when I tried to open a high memory hog app. So I went to the shelf, and indeed I had over twenty apps running background. That's why I enjoy this forum, I always learn something new being here. Plus, you and the other mods really make this place GREAT! (okay I'm finished brown nosing <smile>.

Last edited:
OP
Teazel Town

Teazel Town

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wow Matt. Thanks very much for that extremely useful information. I've just gone through your instructions and have closed quite a few apps. I will see what happens when I try to install another app later. Thankyou very much indeed!!

Most reactions

Latest posts