What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 in february?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, but they had to do the Research &Development for that. Now that it's done they can apply it to the iPad. Remember that the iPad uses virtually the same OS.

Oh. That makes sense! I know nothing about Apple gadgets. Well then, you may be right ~ there may be a camera on the new iPad.

I think people will be droppin that puppy more, though!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because of the size of the iPad it wasn't practical to put a front facing camera but a web cam for communication makes sense... And Facewatchamaccallit needs one, so...

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But, Ivan, it took the fourth generation of the iPod before the camera came out ~ so I read recently.

Yes, but they had to do the Research &Development for that. Now that it's done they can apply it to the iPad. Remember that the iPad uses virtually the same OS.

How do you figure? The iPhone had a camera since day one. They just held off on the iPod Touch camera to have something new to release. Hell the iPod Touch 2G had bluetooth but they didn't turn it on until the first major OS refresh!!

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if we need to create a totally separate iPad 2 section?

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I just dont think it will be enough of an update to warrant an entire section for a 128GB model of the same thing.

If all Apple ads to the iPad is a 128GB model, then Android tablets will surpass them technology wise by this summer. Everything Android is going dual core starting Q2 2011 with the first probably being release Q1, so unless Apple keeps up, they are gonna be left behind.

Darkstar1041

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's face it what's the point in a camera other than for face time it's not as if you will be walking round taking snaps with it most people use an iPad in the house we have cameras on our phone to take photos when we are out and about

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having a camera on it to take pictures would be utterly pointless IMO, but having the camera facing you to be used as a webcam is great idea.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The wait for a camera in the iPod Touch was due to restrictions caused by the shape, and Apple not thinking it would make it more in demand enough to offset the additional cost. Once Apple committed to Facetime, the need for a camera was more important. It is this same need to support Facetime that will produce a camera in the next model.

As for carbon fiber, Apple is working hard to develop ways to incorporate their purchase of Liquid Metal. Using it as the framework and carbon fiber to skin it, may produce a stronger, lighter iPad. Carbon fiber is a great material, but in some ways it is also more fragil. They are testing it, but it will have to be used in conjunction with other materials to meet the Apple standards, and it will have to have zero or less cost impact. The odds are good that it will start appearing in Apple products, but I doubt they are there yet.

I do think the odds are decent that a faster processor and more RAM are coming. Apple is determined to be king of the tablets and the competition is kicking into gear. Any performance increase is desired, and as for RAM, 256 MB is too low. At least 512 MB, and maybe 1 GB. The processor is a common upgrade on the computer side. The demands people have for the iPad are going to push a processor upgrade. I doubt that Apple will offer a 128 GB SSD because I do not notice many people griping about the current models being too limiting The introduction of programs like Office for iPads, and similar demanding applications will create the demand which Apple will have to meet.

What I find interesting is the lack of comment on the report that the new iPad will have a dual mode communication chip which will allow usage on all networks around the world. You only have to put a micro sim card from your carrier and you are good to go.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe early jan would be good

My personal feeling it is premature I feel after Xmas we set up a new section as more info becomes available. In saying that it may be a good idea to separate threads from main stream iPad 1 questions.. It is all speculation at this time and nothing really positive will happen until April or maybe March. This is based on my observation of Apple over past 20 years.

Darkstar1041

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having a camera on it to take pictures would be utterly pointless IMO, but having the camera facing you to be used as a webcam is great idea.

Don't think it would work as a web cam only face time so then restricted to to iPhone 4 users and new iPad if built in the next gen

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're both right. Personnally the only times I've ever used any web cam was through Skype with my kids. I don't want another one and don't care for one on the iPad.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another pundit has come out with confirmation that the next iPad will be released in April, will have camera(s), and will be thinner. Did not say if it would have CDMA capacity, but said that in March, Apple will release the Verizon iPhone 4. If so, the iPad would be likely to follow this path.

Most reactions

Latest posts