What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 in extreme weather conditions

Razorsedge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sponsoring someone on an arctic expedition and he mentioned that on his last expedition his laptop wouldn't work so he was going to take something called a "ruggedized" laptop. I suggested buying him an Ipad 2 instead. Anyone know if it will work in -30++ temperatures?

Additionally any thoughts on software he could use on it to post video updates of his adventure?

Vlammetje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The rugged laptop with guaranteed subzero functioning is in my view by far the better choice. Apart from the LCD, which is vital in a touch screen device, you will also need to consider the battery. Batteries of all types are known for their lesser power in cold temperatures. Having spares and having the ability to swap them, might be very useful.

I wonder what outstanding quality of the iPad prompted you to suggest it for this trip?

I am an arctic winter camper (that means in a tent and completely self supporting) and my best suggestion is to not bring any laptop, because really, it is just dead weight and if needed, having a laptop will not save our life. A radio is a much better choice.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
His only hope is with a ruggized laptop, but without some sort of satellite connection he won't be able to do status updates anyway. I doubt there is a Starbucks there!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple only guarantees the iPad down to 32F (0C) . iPad - Technical Specifications .. I live in a cold climate, but have never let my iPad get much below freezing. Last winter it went from a warm house to a warm car and then back again..

Operating temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget, the touch screen is not so good with gloves on :), he'll need a stylus or those crazy "special" gloves.

docfreed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Get An Ipod!

Seriously - the Ipod Touch can do almost everything that the Ipad can do (except for size of course) an it can be kept in an inside pocket to maintain warmth - I take mine on winter ice fishing trips and keep it in a plastic baggie to keep out water.

OP
Razorsedge

Razorsedge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank You all for the valable comments and suggestions.

Ihubo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About winter conditions. Did someone used a winter itouch gloves ?

Most reactions

Latest posts