What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 how to use it as a cell phone?

hetty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad as a phone.

When we are at home, we use a mobile phone as most ppl do. But at the moment, I'm at home in Australia with my 3G iPad and my husband is in Nepal with his iPad which is wifi only. Wifi at his hotel is $10 per half hour!!!! But he
calls me, usually once per day, using Face time or Skype. It's lovely to see as well as hear him. I've received his calls at home over the weekend, only the dogs here and they already know I'm crazy. But Dave is getting funny looks when he calls me from the garden at his hotel, when he's sitting there talking to a 'book'! The hotel workers obviously think he's weird but the other tourists are really interested in his iPad. I think he should be on commission!

He has bought a ZuniConnect IV. I read about it on this forum, it will enable him to call me later in his travels, as some of the cheaper hotels in Europe have an Internet connection only and no wifi. The Zuni is a little router, the size of a deck of cards, convenient when traveling. I'll get back here later and let you know how it's going.

So this is how we are getting around the issue of using a wifi iPad as a phone.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
tianicol said:
Thank you for you explanatory notes, Skype for me was never an intention for something more than free calls.Ddo you know, maybe it is possible to send SMS-s? Why Im asking so intensive, because (whatever how stupid it will sound) I bought especially for iPad a sim card with Internet+calls and I'd like to use it >:, for the phone calls

to conclude, no legal way. :-/

There are a bunch of apps letting you send SMS messages. Skype can do it to for a small fee.

VicoPad addict!

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Taptalk will give you a free phone app. But free for only 20 min per each call. Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:
Taptalk will give you a free phone app. But free for only 20 min per each call. Works for me.

does it work in calling - and receiving phone calls - via the other party's sim numbers?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry gave you the wrong. It is textNow and yes it give you your own personal phone number. Within this app you can request a phone number or choose not to.
They allow an unlimited amount of calls as long as they are less than 20 min. Long. You also received add calls from tome to time. If you want add free you need to pay. There are other apps like this so keep searching

OP
tianicol

tianicol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zipur said:
Sorry gave you the wrong. It is textNow and yes it give you your own personal phone number. Within this app you can request a phone number or choose not to.
They allow an unlimited amount of calls as long as they are less than 20 min. Long. You also received add calls from tome to time. If you want add free you need to pay. There are other apps like this so keep searching

Hi, I have tried this application, but is obviously working only in USA, because requested to import an arial code from states. I'm in Europe, particularly in Slovakia.

seaforte03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The official technical answer is NO. Because of various legal agreements, Apple ONLY offers the ipad for data ONLY. IF you want to use the ipad (any generation) as a mobile phone (aka using the headset or bluetooth), you'll have to jailbreak your ipad and download various pay to use apps such as phone-it from cydia.com AND deal with any instabilities/incompatibilities/crashes caused by the jailbreak. Jailbreaking ipads and iphones a free software service if you "know" where to look (and it's not too difficult). Start with iclarified dot com. They have excellent pointers to the JB community.

Good luck and more power to the people...

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
seaforte03 said:
The official technical answer is NO. Because of various legal agreements, Apple ONLY offers the ipad for data ONLY. IF you want to use the ipad (any generation) as a mobile phone (aka using the headset or bluetooth), you'll have to jailbreak your ipad and download various pay to use apps such as phone-it from cydia.com AND deal with any instabilities/incompatibilities/crashes caused by the jailbreak. Jailbreaking ipads and iphones a free software service if you "know" where to look (and it's not too difficult). Start with iclarified dot com. They have excellent pointers to the JB community.

Good luck and more power to the people...

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Just thought I'd let you know this is quite an old thread you've posted in and we have not heard back from the OP.

We also have our own thriving Jailbreak community here with tutorials also. Enjoy!
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/

Most reactions