1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad 2 how to use it as a cell phone?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by tianicol, Oct 15, 2011.

1. tianicol

tianicol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I just subscribed to T-mobile operator and got a sim card, installed in my iPad and found out there is not existing an application to can make phone calls. Does somebody know what to do. I have tried to read in Internet, everyone is offering some different application to be used, most of them not available. I will be really grateful is someone can help me, thank you in advance.
  2. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Why not simply use Skype with a 30$/year plan for unlimited calls across America ?
    And with Ring2Skype, you can manage receiving calls for free from landline

VicoPad addict!
  3. khaloul

khaloul iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You cannot use the iPad for phone call, you could use some other chat applications such as the Skype, tango, viber. You could also use the iMessage or FaceTime to contact the iDevices users.
  4. khaloul

khaloul iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could also use talkatone application to call within the state unless you have a 3G or wifi
  5. tianicol

tianicol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    iPad has 3G, but I see still not ready to be used as phone. is this slot for sim card only providing you access to global Internet?? Really it is disappointing
  6. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Disappointing? iPad was never advertised as a cell phone replacement... I'm curious, how did you assume that you could use the iPad as a cell phone?

VicoPad addict!
  7. tianicol

tianicol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hahahha this is because I was always dreaming to have I-pad-phone 2, but serious they should put some efforts also in this direction, don't they?
  8. Milliebert

Milliebert iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0
    It would look very stupid up against my ear...
  9. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    The iPad is pretty big to carry around as a cell phone... But as I said earlier, there is already tons of apps letting you do calls over VoIP like Skype. And basically, they are cheaper than a voice plan by itself. If Apple would make an iPod 3G, I would probably go that way since Skype provides an excellent service.

My voice plan is around 50$ a month for 200 minutes, caller ID and SMS plan. A Skype account is 30$ a year, unlimited minutes and SMS at a really cheap rate. We don't have skypein in Canada but there are cheap solutions. No more long distance call, no more roaming incoming calls fees...

I use Skype on my iPhone almost all the time to make outgoing calls, saving all my minutes for incoming calls. In the end, VoIP is way cheaper than a voice plan, unless you were lucky getting an unlimited voice plan.

VicoPad addict!
  10. david rodriguez

david rodriguez iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Magicjack is a free app free phone calls with number over wifi
  11. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120 / 0
    Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
    Scotland
  12. tianicol

tianicol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you for your suggestion, I have tried with sim card in, is not working, did you use it? I'm in Slovakia T-mobile member, if this has some influence.
  13. tianicol

tianicol iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you for you explanatory notes, Skype for me was never an intention for something more than free calls.Ddo you know, maybe it is possible to send SMS-s? Why Im asking so intensive, because (whatever how stupid it will sound) I bought especially for iPad a sim card with Internet+calls and I'd like to use it >:, for the phone calls

to conclude, no legal way. :-/
  14. david rodriguez

david rodriguez iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just used it over wifi only, do not think it works any other way.
  15. 88raymond

88raymond iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    since you have an ipad2 3G, you will be able to send/receive sms ONLY when you are JB'd. a cydia app named "swirlySMS for ipad 3g" provides that functionality.

phone calls using the sim card is possible ONLY for ipad1 3G users that are JB'd. it isn't possible yet for the iPad2 3G due to hardware issues, compared to its predecessor.

JB in itself is not illegal, as they say.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  16. hetty

hetty iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad as a phone.

When we are at home, we use a mobile phone as most ppl do. But at the moment, I'm at home in Australia with my 3G iPad and my husband is in Nepal with his iPad which is wifi only. Wifi at his hotel is $10 per half hour!!!! But he
    calls me, usually once per day, using Face time or Skype. It's lovely to see as well as hear him. I've received his calls at home over the weekend, only the dogs here and they already know I'm crazy. But Dave is getting funny looks when he calls me from the garden at his hotel, when he's sitting there talking to a 'book'! The hotel workers obviously think he's weird but the other tourists are really interested in his iPad. I think he should be on commission!

He has bought a ZuniConnect IV. I read about it on this forum, it will enable him to call me later in his travels, as some of the cheaper hotels in Europe have an Internet connection only and no wifi. The Zuni is a little router, the size of a deck of cards, convenient when traveling. I'll get back here later and let you know how it's going.

So this is how we are getting around the issue of using a wifi iPad as a phone.
  17. DrHouse

DrHouse iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    There are a bunch of apps letting you send SMS messages. Skype can do it to for a small fee.

VicoPad addict!
  18. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Taptalk will give you a free phone app. But free for only 20 min per each call. Works for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  19. 88raymond

88raymond iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    does it work in calling - and receiving phone calls - via the other party's sim numbers?
  20. zipur

zipur iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Sorry gave you the wrong. It is textNow and yes it give you your own personal phone number. Within this app you can request a phone number or choose not to.
    They allow an unlimited amount of calls as long as they are less than 20 min. Long. You also received add calls from tome to time. If you want add free you need to pay. There are other apps like this so keep searching

Sent from my iPad using iPF