What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Home Button Not Working

mollyerickson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 has worked perfectly for almost 4 months now, no problems whatsoever. I use it for literally everything. All of a sudden, out of no where, the home button doesn't work at all. It pushes down normally, but no response. Also, when I plug it into my computer, my computer doesn't recognize it like it usually does, so I cannot restore it or update the software. The sleep button and screen work perfect, but the home button is useless. Any ideas on what this might be or how to fix it? Going to take it to Apple tomorrow, but I would like to be able to use it again ASAP!

Also, it won't charge. :(

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might just be worth seeing if a complete power down and power up fixes the problem. It has been known to work wonders! Press and hold the Power button until the slider control appears and then accept the offer to power down. When the rotating white bezel has disappeared and the screen is completely blank, press the Power button until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then power up - it takes a while. Just might work - probably not, but nothing lost.

Good Luck....

Tim

OP
M

mollyerickson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Might just be worth seeing if a complete power down and power up fixes the problem. It has been known to work wonders! Press and hold the Power button until the slider control appears and then accept the offer to power down. When the rotating white bezel has disappeared and the screen is completely blank, press the Power button until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then power up - it takes a while. Just might work - probably not, but nothing lost.

Good Luck....

Tim
Tried that a few times, thank you though!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - sorry to hear that. It's because you reported a 'dual fault' - i.e. a faulty Home button and the fact that it won't charge. It's unusual to get two faults occuring simultaneously and I couldn't see a way in which they were related.

By the way, when you say "it won't charge" do you mean that, when you plug in the iPad charger, just nothing happens or you get the "Not Charging" indicator on the iPad status bar at the top of the screen?

Tim

OP
M

mollyerickson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - sorry to hear that. It's because you reported a 'dual fault' - i.e. a faulty Home button and the fact that it won't charge. It's unusual to get two faults occuring simultaneously and I couldn't see a way in which they were related.

By the way, when you say "it won't charge" do you mean that, when you plug in the iPad charger, just nothing happens or you get the "Not Charging" indicator on the iPad status bar at the top of the screen?

Tim
No, I don't even get the "not charging".

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A definite puzzle - any chance you can plug your iPad into the USB port of your computer to see if you get the 'Not charging' message then?

Tim

OP
M

mollyerickson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No the iPad does nothing plugged into my computer and my computer doesn't recognize it.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The home button and dock connector are pretty close together, so it's possible that something right there went bad. I agree thats its weird that two things messed up on the iPad but since they are close together, one faulty piece could effect both items.

ck563

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same thing happened to me.

Don't know whether it's relevant, in my case, it's JB'ed and after I installed the multi-gesture app. I can still go 'home' by using the four fingers pinch.

FYI, for charging, it charges only when it's powered off.

greg09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Have you resolved the problem?

evohicks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have to say my ipad2 has started doing this just tonight. It's happened intermittently and there seems to be no pattern to it just yet but I am convinced it's a software issue as it will work fine for a long time before not wanting to work. My iPad is only 3 months old, bought at Currys in the UK, I don't want to take it to them for repair unless I am 100% sure it's a hardware problem. Not sure if I can demand a replacement TBH but as the problem is really intermittent right now it's probably going to work ok if I took it back now.
I must say that my iPad 2 has had no knocks or bumps and has had lots of care as have all my laptops etc,so this is definitely not user neglect ;).
Will post back if there any changes.

Most reactions

Latest posts