What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 help possible keychain extraction

ilovetigers100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi guys i got an ipad 2 it had version 7 ios installed it crashed and then i put the latest on it 8.1.3 but before i did this i made a full backup. but as the device was second hand and already activated i forgot to make a note of any icloud information i managed to find out the email but cannot get hold of the orginal owner is there any way i can access the orginal backup and extract the password i have the keychain backup file.
dont have a mac only pc if possible step by step guide would help

i have ibackupbot , backup extractor elcomsoft password recovery

any help please

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
None of these will help. If the device is still connected to the previous owner's iCloud ID, he has to remove it from Find my iPad.

I'm actually wondering: if you used Keychain, which is connected to iCloud, did you use the former owner's ID to store login details? This means he'll be able to access and use them as well.

OP
I

ilovetigers100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no i looked through the backup that it that's how i found out the email address but it states online that the password will be in keychains but its encrypted the previous ios was fully activated so hence my fault didn't check for icloud information he not answering emails or calls all i want is to activate the device or remove all his details .

OP
I

ilovetigers100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh ok then i was advised different by elcomsoft who advised as i have afull backup and made a full copy of all ipad files it should be there thanks anyway it was worth a hope, hopefully he will answer the emails or calls i have leavt him. just curious is there a way to decrypt the keychain files as it does mention icloud and shows me a key but need to be decrypted just as elecomsoft said it would

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever that software promised, it is not right. It's only possible to get rid of the former owner's iCloud account, if he removes it from Find my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts