What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 gpu/video chip

ipadtechnique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,

is there a separate gpu/video chip on the iPad 2 logic board?
i got an iPad 2 that turns on but the screen's very dim. it got wet. i would like to know if it's repairable.
thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi all,

is there a separate gpu/video chip on the iPad 2 logic board?
i got an iPad 2 that turns on but the screen's very dim. it got wet. i would like to know if it's repairable.
thanks!
The backlight may have failed. If so, the entire screen must be replaced. Since the iPad was water damaged there may very well be additional internal damage as well. It may be worthwhile to consider upgrading to a newer iPad.

OP
I

ipadtechnique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see, so it's not worth the trouble to fix it? is it really expensive to fix the logic board?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see, so it's not worth the trouble to fix it? is it really expensive to fix the logic board?
If there's a fault in the logic board, it's normal to replace it with a new one. If you want to be sure just what's wrong with your iPad you could take it to an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment to have a diagnostic done. Apple repair costs are generally about half the cost of a new iPad. Third party repair shops are generally cheaper but may not offer the same level of service. In any case, if your iPad can be repaired, it will still be a 4 year old design that can struggle with modern apps that require faster processing speeds and more RAM than the iPad 2 can offer.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How dim is the screen? Is it dim that you need a flashlight to see it? Also curious as to how "wet" it got.

I'm assuming you adjusted the brightness in the settings menu to see if that was the problem?

OP
I

ipadtechnique

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is very dim and it looks like there "maps" all around (probably wet marks). I can see the clock when i view it sideway.

It was dropped by my auntie in a bowl with water (dock port first). Then after a few seconds, the screen started to flicker then blank.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, first thing Is to stop using it asap. Try to find a reputable repair shop nearby and send it there for water damage treatment. Odds are the lcd will need to be replaced. The quicker you act the easier it is to take care of any potential water damage to the logic board.

Most reactions

Latest posts