What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 full charge

ainsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, my iPad 2 is two days old and I have charged it twice since I got it. My question is, how long does your iPad 2 takes to charge if you were to use the iPhone charger? A few of my friends tells me theirs takes up to 2 hours but the 2 times I charged mine with the iPhone charger, it took me close to 8 hours. Anyone encountered this before?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, my iPad 2 is two days old and I have charged it twice since I got it. My question is, how long does your iPad 2 takes to charge if you were to use the iPhone charger? A few of my friends tells me theirs takes up to 2 hours but the 2 times I charged mine with the iPhone charger, it took me close to 8 hours. Anyone encountered this before?

The iPhone charger cannot supply the current that the supplied iPad charger can. Therefore the iPad will take very considerably longer to charge using the iPhone charger and the time that you mention does not seem unreasonable. I am surprised and sceptical of the times that your friends quote. However, maybe their iPads were not fully discharged.

Tim

OP
A

ainsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha - thanks Tim. Shall check with them what's their percentage when they plug in. How long does your iPad take to charge then?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha - thanks Tim. Shall check with them what's their percentage when they plug in. How long does your iPad take to charge then?

I never have had my iPad fully discharge (yes, I know I should occasionally) but I would estimate about 3-4 hours from fully discharged using the iPad charger. I don't have an iPhone, so I can't comment.

I believe the iPhone charger is rated at 900mA as opposed to the iPad's 2A capability. Therefore one might expect it to take the iPhone charger about twice as long as the iPad charger - which fits in perfectly with your observed times for charging with the iPhone charger.

Tim

OP
A

ainsley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I will have to either carry my iPad charger to and from work or get an extra one. Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I will have to either carry my iPad charger to and from work or get an extra one. Thanks.

The iPad charger will charge the iPhone too, no problem. There's no need to take both. Although the iPad charger has a higher current capability it won't 'force feed' the iPhone.

I bought an array of iPad chargers - one for work, one for my bedroom, one to keep in the car, one for my work room

Tim

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Charge Time

I never have had my iPad fully discharge (yes, I know I should occasionally) but I would estimate about 3-4 hours from fully discharged using the iPad charger. I don't have an iPhone, so I can't comment.

I believe the iPhone charger is rated at 900mA as opposed to the iPad's 2A capability. Therefore one might expect it to take the iPhone charger about twice as long as the iPad charger - which fits in perfectly with your observed times for charging with the iPhone charger.

Tim

Tim's about right there, from 20% I have a full charge in about 3.5 hours. There is a little caveat though, the ipad will show full charge, even though it is still trickle charging. I always put mine into airplane mode when charging. (this disconnects wifi, bluetooth etc. and decreases charge time dramatically) Too check if the 100% charge is accurate, just feel the charger. If it's stone cold you are fully charged. If a little warm, then not quite.

iRuthlessPad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How much time does ur battery drain on wifi and 50% brightness? Mine goes out in 8 hours...is that normal? I mean using wifi for the entire charge..

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRuthlessPad said:
How much time does ur battery drain on wifi and 50% brightness? Mine goes out in 8 hours...is that normal? I mean using wifi for the entire charge..

Yes I think that's about right. The screen is what grabs most power. I find using auto- brightness helps, but I'm normally in the same steady light when using mine.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive tested this a few times just to see how long it really takes, and with an ipad charger from 0%-100% charge without using it in between is 4 1/2 hours. Once charged I keep the screen level to 30-35% and I can use the thing for 4 days with moderate use!

unSOUND

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few of my friends tells me theirs takes up to 2 hours but the 2 times I charged mine with the iPhone charger, it took me close to 8 hours. Anyone encountered this before?
Are you using an iPhone 3 ? Those chargers have less power than the iPhone 4 charges if I remember correctly.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Link: The Fastest (and Slowest) Way to Charge an iPad

I've been happy with the Griffin PowerBlock for more than a year. I bought a second one after I verified that the first charged as quickly as the Gizmodo article claimed.

I also like that it charges my iPad 1 and 2, my touch 4 and my iPhone 4.

Last edited:

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just get a little app like Battery Doctor.

Tells you near exactly how much time you have left on battery for different operations and gives you an estimated charge time to 100% (during charging). I've found it to be quite accurate.

And yes, from 0 to 100% charge, it takes 4.5 hours on average including a bit of trickle charging at the end. - With the 2A iPad wall charger.

Cheers

Most reactions