What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 for business still a long way to reality

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I work in my office, I will use pad and pen to take notes, quick calculations, and line drawings. no machine will replace that for speed or efficiency. Anything that requires me to use the computer, is going to be more efficient with my desktop because I am an adequate touch typist. And having a 22" screen gives me the ability to see items easier.

When I am out in the field, at conferences, or traveling, the iPad is my mobile office. I can take notes, receive emails, reference files, review pictures, and many other things. If I need a file from my office or other section, I can send an email, or make a call, and they can send me an email with the file. It is nice to go into a meeting with such a device at my beck and call. I am pretty decent with tap typing on the iPad, but it still has limitations. If I write something in units or need a symbol, I can hit a snag. For example, if I have comment that shows pounds sterling, the symbol is not going to be readily available on any device. If I show it as lbs, then I have to hope I remember type of units so I do not think it as weight. Until we can find machines that work as fast as we think, nothing is going to replace dedicated devices like a pen and pad for quick actions. But when you cannot carry your office with you, an iPad does as good as anything available.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I work in my office, I will use pad and pen to take notes, quick calculations, and line drawings. no machine will replace that for speed or efficiency. Anything that requires me to use the computer, is going to be more efficient with my desktop because I am an adequate touch typist. And having a 22" screen gives me the ability to see items easier.

When I am out in the field, at conferences, or traveling, the iPad is my mobile office. ...

I think you're making an important distinction here that is often ignored in these discussions. Like you, I seldom use my iPad when I'm working in my office. I have both a desktop and laptop sitting here that make the iPad a second (or third) choice for practically anything I do at my desk. The fact that MS Office compatible apps are something of a crap shoot only adds to its disadvantages. And if I have to choose between my dual 23" monitors and the iPad's lovely but ultimately single window view, there's no contest.

On the other hand, my iPad has completely replaced my netbook that I used to carry on a plane trip. And it has made my smartphone nearly as redundant. If I were completely office-bound or at most had to walk down the hall for a meeting, I'd have little use for an iPad (for business.) And if I truly had to carry my office on my back with all that that implies, same answer. It's the fact that my mobile needs match the iPad's capabilities that makes it a truly valuable device.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Seadog said:
For example, if I have comment that shows pounds sterling, the symbol is not going to be readily available on any device. If I show it as lbs, then I have to hope I remember type of units so I do not think it as weight.

Tap the numbers key then tap and hold the $ key. When the extra options show drag your finger to the £ key. There are lots of extra symbols available by this method. It is not the most convinient design, but better than nothing. Here is a list of some (but by no means all) the tricks and extras tucked away in the touch keyboard.

http://www.labnol.org/software/keyboard-typing-shortcuts-for-iphone-ipad/13564/

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never use my brand new laptop anymore! I use my iPad whenever I am away from my desktop computer. Granted I don't do spreadsheets, but I do access my desktop unit with Gotomypc and with Splashtop now (much cheaper alternative) and I am able to access whatever I need on there. But I use my iPad as much as possible for work, email, surfing, researching, etc. I also take it to meeting and take notes which always impresses the hell out of my clients and I am also able to pull up files through dropbox to show them as well as surf to websites, etc. I LOVE it for business and I am so relieved that I can take it everywhere. I use a Boxwave stylus and it is great for taking notes with Penultimate and with Bamboo pad. I am waiting for another one to try but the Boxwave is really good.

I guess it really depends on what business you are in and what applications/software you need.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
My iPad has replaced my laptop also for about 80% of day to day usage in business

This made me think as 80% is probably the same for me although it was at around 95%+ for a while when I had to work from home due to illness.

There seems to be a view (with some, not all) that if the iPad doesn't replace a laptop/desktop for everything then it has failed, surely the point really is that it is another tool that can be used to make business life easier. As apps are developed then it will take a greater percentage of the workload (depending on the type of work that you do) but how many people use only one tool to do their work. If it can be used to compliment your existing equipment then it is certainly a success. I see iPad and laptops as complimentary.......just like i see a pen and paper as complimentary.

The Archangel

wolfeslad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only just got my IPad, however I have been using it for taking notes whilst in work, sat at my desktop pc! Previous poster's have already stated that it doesn't replace a desktop or laptop, which I think is true but for me it does completely replace pen and paper, I'm not the fastest touch typist in the world however I can type just as fast on the iPad as I can on a desktop and at least this way, when i'm taking notes I can actually read them lmao

Sent from my iPad using iPF

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
First, define "business use." Because, you know, if you ask ten different "business people", you're gonna get ten sets of requirements, each requiring its own set of hardware, software and configurations. And a computer, by definition, is a tool that can be set up to accomodate specific requirements and needs.

So debating in terms of vague, absolute statements (”...was never intended to be..., ...this problem alone...") is not only futile, it is illogical. If nothing else, there are those of us who are already using the iPad in the office to be more mobile, responsive and productive workers.

Absolutely.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yes. there is no specific single type of "business" of course.

if i bought my ipad for my work (3d CGI and rendering) i'd be well disappointed. but for general office/admin work? ticks every single box in my business :D

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
yes. there is no specific single type of "business" of course.

if i bought my ipad for my work (3d CGI and rendering) i'd be well disappointed. but for general office/admin work? ticks every single box in my business :D

If I was a downhill skier I would be disappointed as well......unless I had one iPad for each foot!

The Archangel

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
An iPad is not a substitute for pad and paper, nor a desktop unit. You don't use a screwdriver to put a nail in a board. There are just some things that electronics do not replace. And everything has it's limitations.

I have to respectfully disagree about the pen and paper. I use penultimate in meetings every day. It has totally replaced pen and paper in my personal work environment. I use a high end stylus, BTW, and not my finger which probably makes a difference.

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
I have to respectfully disagree about the pen and paper. I use penultimate in meetings every day. It has totally replaced pen and paper in my personal work environment. I use a high end stylus, BTW, and not my finger which probably makes a difference.

Hi, what stylus are you using?

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
I always carry my iPad 2 with me, we all know how great it is to read, surf the net and play games, is definitely an entertaining device. But when it comes to do the real business and show it's real 'office' potential, really let's you (or at least me) down.

I'll put an example. I have all sort of apps on my iPad, one of my favourites is Penultimate which is to make notes and drawings. I was on my desk and a colleague came round to discuss something, he needed to write me something and I told him that we could use the iPad for that. Off he goes, there he was this guy trying to write with his finger and within second we scrap the idea and pass on to write on paper.

I sometimes wish that the iPad 2 had the same writing abilities as a windows tablet pc. I know he tried to write with his hand but I have bought two stylus and they are as useless as fingers...

I have read in the past few months a few articles, particularly female iPad 2 owners who have had the guts to ditch their laptops and replace them with an iPad. They write about the excitement when they pull their iPads form their purses while everybody else in the meeting room are anchored in the past with bulky laptops. They kindly of give the impression of how cool fashionable the ladies are.

No disrespect to those ladies but hey, I'm on my 30s I work in an office environment and you cannot replace s laptop with an iPad 2, yet. The iPad can't screen is to small for business, no ms excel, numbers is nice but I can't see myself dealing with one of my beast workbooks on "Numbers".

I love my iPad is this thread is kind of a rant to express my concern about the lack of business usability. It is clearly still early days. Tho is great to type an email on the train but if you are an accountant, forget about it, the iPad is of no use for Excel sheets. Plus the iPad needs to be connected to a server to make the most of it.

Sent from my iPad 2 hehe

1. Penultimate with Rocketfish stylus (fingers - not so much)
2. Quickoffice PRO HD (for use with MS office files)
3. iPad was not made to replace a computer

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
The Alternative said:

Actually, I use two - Rocketfish Stylus and pen and Wacom CS100K Bamboo stylus Capacitive Pen. Depends on which is closest to hand but both perform equally well for me.

Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Alternative said:

The Just Mobile Alupen is also worth considering.

Most reactions

Latest posts