What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 external storage?

bmwx5m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Going on a cruise and need some more storage, anyone heard of the wi-drives, will they work well without internet? Any other devices I can use, thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Going on a cruise and need some more storage, anyone heard of the wi-drives, will they work well without internet? Any other devices I can use, thanks.

Hello - of course to answer your question - these have been around for a number of years, i.e. small portable devices that create a 'personal' Wi-Fi network and w/ a proprietary app on your iDevice can transfer and/or stream information, such as music or movies. There are two general categories - those that use a mechanical HD (such as the Western Digital offerings) and those that use removable storage, typically SD cards as used in cameras and of variable capacity - just go to Amazon and search on 'Wi-Fi storage for iPad' and plenty of items (and pages) will be displayed.

As for myself, I've been using the AirStash for several years - the device sets up its own Wi-Fi network and communicates w/ the iPad via an app on the iDevice - click the link and that in the others mentioned to go to their Amazon pages (read the reviews, decide on the features wanted, and the price range).

Another that has a dedicated thread in the forum (as does the AirStash) is the Apotop - again click the link; also, pics below of each of these devices - and to emphasize, I have used only the AirStash.

Now, I use a lot of USB flash drives and SD cards and my favorite brands have been SanDisk & Kingston, out of curiosity, these companies offer similar products - pics below and links - SanDisk and Kingston - SO, do some linking and reading - a product awaits your use. Dave :)
WiFiStorage_AirStash.jpg
WiFiStorage_Apotop2.png
WiFiStorage_SanDisk.png
WiFiStorage_Kingston.png

OP
B

bmwx5m

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply, so the airstash will work fine without internet right? Thanks again!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the reply, so the airstash will work fine without internet right? Thanks again!

Hello - you are certainly welcomed - the AirStash creates a 'personal' Wi-Fi network (i.e. you do NOT need internet available) - then you simply go to Settings -> Wi-Fi on your iPad and connect to its network; of course, you need to download the free AirStash app to interact w/ that network - once connected, information can be exchanged, such as photos or media can be streamed from the device to your iPad. The other products that I mentioned previously appear to work on the same principle.

Now I'm not sure what your main purpose will be for such a device - I'm assuming at least to get photos off your iPad to free up storage, if not for AV streaming - keep in mind that w/ the AirStash, you can carry multiple SD cards and use them interchangeably - visit the AirStash Website for much more information if the product is of interest to you. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts