What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Duct Tape Folio Smart Case - My DIY Project

coregeek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.coregeek.net
Just wanted to share my latest project:

When I learned that the iPad 2 utilized embedded magnets for the “magical” smart covers I knew that I wanted to re-engineer the original Duct Tape Folio into a more elegant and refined design.

Although the original iPad Duct Tape Folio worked well it did have a few negatives:
• I based the core out of posterboard (mostly because that’s what I had lying around the house) which worked okay but it was a little too flexible and the duct tape showed off every little dent or crease.
• I never really liked the elastic corners for securing the iPad, they worked well but looked kind of cheesy.
• It lacked a built in stand or prop for easier typing, watching, etc.

Keeping all of the above in mind, here’s the list of features for the new Duct Tape Folio for iPad 2:
• Integrated sleep/wake function
• Easy magnetic insert and removal
• Built in prop/stand
• Durable plywood core
• Stylish magnetic clasp

A short video and more images can be found here.

ipad2-duct-tape-folio-1.jpg

ipad2-duct-tape-folio-4.jpg

ipad2-duct-tape-folio-6.jpg

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - that is really smart. Really ingenious too. You should think about going into production and selling them. There'd definitely be a market.

Tim

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I saw the words iPad and duct tape together I shuddered.
Sacrilege, pad abuse, gadget neglect?

Fortunately I was proven wrong.
That's a nice job you've made of it.
Well done.

Most reactions

Latest posts