What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2, does it scratch easily?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
It is not technically correct to use generalities like glass and metal. Gorilla Glass is one of the hardest of glasses. Anandtech reviewed the glass it is tougher and has additives to make it better than the original ipad. Now diamond will scratch ... copper won't, neither will most car keys.

Yet there are users who have scratched iPad 2 screens, some of them out of the box as a manufacturing defect, let alone shattered ones because they were dropped - no matter how tough 'gorilla glass' claims to be. It only take one small particle applied with pressure to deface the screen, like a random speck of dirt, or an accidental drop onto a hard surface.

Last edited:

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
It is not technically correct to use generalities like glass and metal. Gorilla Glass is one of the hardest of glasses. Anandtech reviewed the glass it is tougher and has additives to make it better than the original ipad. Now diamond will scratch ... copper won't, neither will most car keys.

Yet there are users who have scratched iPad 2 screens, some of them out of the box as a manufacturing defect, let alone shattered ones because they were dropped - no matter how tough 'gorilla glass' claims to be. It only take one small particle applied with pressure to deface the screen, like a random speck of dirt, or an accidental drop onto a hard surface.

Whatever the glass is made from, It's tough as nails. I'm on my second generation iPad and a year of heavy use. I'm not particularly careful and both iPad screens have remained unscratched and perfect.

Particles simply brush off. Use a soft microfiber cloth and gently rub the screen.

Manufacturing defects and dropping the glass iPad on a hard surface is beyond the scope of what's considered normal use.

indian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't ever bother to protect your iPad with a scratch guard. I is like using a latex contraceptive. You will enjoy more without them.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Zagg invisible for my IP4 and removed it after a week of testing. The screen looked bumpy and had an orange peel effect. Not to mention that the BB guy sprayed chemicals on his hands and lightly on the IP screen to install this hideous film. Don't waist your money.

I have had my IPad for about 8 months with no screen film and no issues.

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
I bought the Zagg invisible for my IP4 and removed it after a week of testing. The screen looked bumpy and had an orange peel effect. Not to mention that the BB guy sprayed chemicals on his hands and lightly on the IP screen to install this hideous film. .

The "chemicals" the BB guy used was H2O....aka water.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
I bought the Zagg invisible for my IP4 and removed it after a week of testing. The screen looked bumpy and had an orange peel effect. Not to mention that the BB guy sprayed chemicals on his hands and lightly on the IP screen to install this hideous film. .

So that should make me feel better that the guy sprayed H2o on my screen?

Rgsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mav777
Originally Posted by Blackbelt

So that should make me feel better that the guy sprayed H2o on my screen?

The instructions on the screen protector state to spray your hands and the screen with the supplied liquid. So he just did what the instructions say to do. There have been no issues of water damage from this that I have heard.

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I researched the screen protectors Before I purchased so I knew that "wet and dry" were my options, and searching showed no one reported issues with the wet application. I chose to apply one not due to scratches but because I'm around a lot of industrial adhesives with work, much easier to replace a protector than the glass if it gets on there. And Yes, these adhesives would be difficult if not impossible to remove from the screen if it were bare.

ColumbusPhil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I initially added a Zaggs InvisibleShield to both sides of the iPad and removed the screen cover when I noticed a few flecks of dirt underneath the cover. I was worried the trapped dirt would cause harm.

I left the back one on since that's the part that will be sliding against tables -- cheers to the "Grandmother's Couches" statements. I figure that the smart cover is enough for the front.

Like others suggested, just be careful that your microfiber cloth is clean of grit. I screwed up my iPod because my microfiber cloth picked up some apparently sharp dust.

I suppose at the end of the day it's all up to preference and one's typical usage environment. Thanks for the feedback here..

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just taken the front off my Bodyguardz because I wasnt happy with the end result. The only thing that was better was the lack of fingerprints.

However I have left the back on because it looks and feels great & I think that is more likely to pick up scratches etc.

Last edited:

011Bojan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's easily scratched. I managed to get a scratch on mine after 24 hours of usage. I wansn;t doing anything extreme about it. If I compare it to my naked Samsung Galaxy S screen, it's way behind.

I am using my phone for past 6 months, without any sort of protection and it doesn't have a scratch on it's Gorilla Glass.

I was really dissapointed that I can't say the same for my new iPad 2. I gotta buy some smart cover or screen protector ;/

dj11225

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it does.

I've had my iPad 2 for 16 days, and there are already random hairline scratches that noticeably create a prism effect. GRR!

I had my iPad 1 for almost a year. Naked, no scratches. (It's even been to the beach with me.)

I still have an iPhone 3G (not even 3GS). Naked, no scratches.

What gives?

Anyway, I remember a dry, "clingy" cover (Crystal something?) for the iPhone, that reduced fingerprints and actually made the screen brighter (because it was glossy). Anyone have any recommendations for a similar product?

kjcatl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dj11225 said:
I've had my iPad 2 for 16 days, and there are already random hairline scratches that noticeably create a prism effect. GRR!

I had my iPad 1 for almost a year. Naked, no scratches. (It's even been to the beach with me.)

I still have an iPhone 3G (not even 3GS). Naked, no scratches.

What gives?

Anyway, I remember a dry, "clingy" cover (Crystal something?) for the iPhone, that reduced fingerprints and actually made the screen brighter (because it was glossy). Anyone have any recommendations for a similar product?

I got Ghost Amour and it really protects it well plus lifetime guarantee

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sounds like the box wave, they make an awesome product (although I don't think the screen needs anything on it)

Most reactions

Latest posts