What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 died

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last night every app crashed. I couldn't even login to wifi. Tried to update to 9.something and it just kept searching and searching for update, then crashed or just kept searching. Today I logged on and it searched for ten minutes. The Internet icon wasn't rolling.

My insurance lapsed as they never notified me to renew. Repair seems to start at $250. I'd rather throw in another $150 and get a new one with 32 gb, not 16 gb

Before I toss it, anyone have an idea why every app crashes? I have 12.5 gb with 5.6 gb available.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried restoring from DFU mode? Worth a shot if you are going to junk it anyway.

@ Squirrel - well, a 16 GB iPad 2 (which came out in 2011) is pretty much approaching Apple's Vintage Status - I'd start saving for a newer iPad and also 32 GB is now the minimal storage recommended (and available in a new device on the Apple website) - my iPad Air 2 has 64 GB, a suggestion.

But just to support Kevin's advice - there is a thread in the forum on DFU Mode (Device Firmware Update); another link HERE. Now I'm assuming that the battery is charging and operating normally and that you have tried a 'Reset' of the device - correct? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ Squirrel - well, a 16 GB iPad 2 (which came out in 2011) is pretty much approaching Apple's Vintage Status - I'd start saving for a newer iPad and also 32 GB is now the minimal storage recommended (and available in a new device on the Apple website) - my iPad Air 2 has 64 GB, a suggestion.

But just to support Kevin's advice - there is a thread in the forum on DFU Mode (Device Firmware Update); another link HERE. Now I'm assuming that the battery is charging and operating normally and that you have tried a 'Reset' of the device - correct? Good luck - Dave :)
Thanks. I didn't reset as I don't know how. Please educate me. I'll try that before DFU.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't reset as I don't know how. Please educate me. I'll try that before DFU.

RESET: Hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 secs or so) - release both buttons and allow the iPad to reboot (this is like turning your computer off and then on again) - nothing is affected on your device, unlike the 'last resort' DFU mode. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RESET: Hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 secs or so) - release both buttons and allow the iPad to reboot (this is like turning your computer off and then on again) - nothing is affected on your device, unlike the 'last resort' DFU mode. Good luck - Dave :)

Thanks! I'm a Windows weenie and I'm still learning iOS after four years. I'm worried DFU will have me screaming FU!!!

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No backup. I did the reset and the logo appeared. It's been about five minutes and the logo is still there. I just shut it off since it didn't do anything

The DFU I can't do until I connect to my laptop. I assume that's done via usb cable. Tomorrow I can try that.

I wish I could figure out why it is doing this. I do have my iPad mini recharged and I can use it for now.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it's done by cable. You'll do an update to the latest OS and restore it to factory settings. iTunes will tell you that it has found an iPad in recovery mode.

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it's done by cable. You'll do an update to the latest OS and restore it to factory settings. iTunes will tell you that it has found an iPad in recovery mode.

Thank you. I reset it again, letting the logo just sit there. On WiFi it took 15 minutes, went blank then the logo came back and 15 minutes later , it shut down. I panicked but turned it on and tried 6 apps. One crashed but always does.

Tonight I'll test it again but it appears y'all helped enormously. Thank you so much.

All would be perfect but last night I couldn't login to post. My IP was banned. I didn't think I broke rules but I couldn't see contact info

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. I reset it again, letting the logo just sit there. On WiFi it took 15 minutes, went blank then the logo came back and 15 minutes later , it shut down. I panicked but turned it on and tried 6 apps. One crashed but always does.

Tonight I'll test it again but it appears y'all helped enormously. Thank you so much.

All would be perfect but last night I couldn't login to post. My IP was banned. I didn't think I broke rules but I couldn't see contact info

Sorry about that. It appears that there was a glitch in the forum software. I've looked around and can't find anything to indicate that your membership or IP address was banned as a result of moderator action.

OP
I

iPadSquirrel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry about that. It appears that there was a glitch in the forum software. I've looked around and can't find anything to indicate that your membership or IP address was banned as a result of moderator action.

Thank you. I thought mentioning I was a Windows user was taboo!! :)

Most reactions

Latest posts