iPad 2 Crashes

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by kspector, Nov 11, 2015.

1. kspector

kspector
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I know there are many posts along these lines, but is there anything I can do (short of purchasing a new iPad) to stop mine from crashing a lot? I am running iOS 9.1, which I know is stressing my system. I don't mind it running slow, but crashes are really annoying. I tried a DFU but not sure that helped at all.
    Thanks.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The iPad 2 only has 500MB of RAM, while the newest iPads have 2GB. The lack of RAM in the iPad 2 is responsible for the iPad crashing when attempting memory intensive tasks. The problem, unfortunately, will get worse over time as websites, games, apps, etc. require increasing amounts of RAM to function optimally. You may want to consider upgrading if the problem continues to get worse.

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are a few things you could try, maybe they'll help a bit.

Reset your iPad. This won't change settings or remove data, but it might help with your problem.
    To reset, press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Release both and let the iPad power up on it's own.

Some iPad owners in the same situation as yours found resetting all settings helpful. This has to be done in Settings - General - Reset. There, select "Reset all Settings". While the reset described before doesn't change anything, this kind of reset will remove everything you changed in the Settings app, so you'll have to select and set up what you need or prefer afterwards.