What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 Charging Problem - Buzzing

Yorkshire Devil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there. I purchased an Ipad 2 64GB 3G. When charging whether in the Apple dock or just with the lead when plugged in to the mains the unit feels as though there is static on the back or slight vibration. Is this an earthing problem with my house electrics or is there any ideas what it could be?

Joseph C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yorkshire Devil said:
Hi there. I purchased an Ipad 2 64GB 3G. When charging whether in the Apple dock or just with the lead when plugged in to the mains the unit feels as though there is static on the back or slight vibration. Is this an earthing problem with my house electrics or is there any ideas what it could be?

My iPad 1 64 GB 3G never had that problem. I don't think this is a grounding problem. Best to bring it in.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to get the adapter replaced.

The adapter contains a transformer inside, which is essentially many super-thin sheets of metal bound together in shellac. The buzzing is caused by one of the metal sheets coming loose, and the current running through the adapter makes is vibrate and "buzz". In time the loose sheet could wear through the wire insulation, and cause a short.

OP
Y

Yorkshire Devil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Mate,

I will just double check the fault lies with the charger & ipad 2 and not my home electrics when I go to work tomorrow. If its what you are saying it is I will be gutted as its only 2 days old.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not on the iPad (of any generation), no.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no transformer inside the iPad from what I can remember seen from the device tear-downs, so from a "let's think this through logically" point of view, I'm just not sure what could be inside the iPad which would cause the buzzing. If it is your iPad which is buzzing and/or leaking current to the casing, then we're in strange new territory here.

On the other hand, issues with buzzing adapters when plugged in are well-known and I have encountered them frequently with laptops. I have personally not heard of an Apple charger which buzzes - but it is essentially a transformer that steps-up or steps-down the current from the wall socket to supply your device, so it if makes a similar noise, it's a safe assumption that it's a defective transformer.

Out of millions of parts and devices that Apple ship, some of them are bound to be defective out-of-the-box - so a bit of bad luck here, unfortunately.

Jasonrabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got my White iPad 32GB wifi yesterday put it on charge with the new charger supplied and my iPad feels like it's vibrating, so I plugged it in to my MacBook pro and all was ok no vibration

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad charger can supply 2A whereas a conventional USB port on a computer can only supply 500mA - a quarter as much. So the iPad charges much faster with its own adaptor. However, you shouldn't really feel any vibration. If the problem persists I'd take it to an Apple Store and have them check it.

Tim

Pharlap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try this for all apple power supplies .set it up next to a AM radio and turn it on with nothing plugged into usb port and see if it interferes with play of radio if you here a warbling effect coming through the speaker the supply has dry connections and is unserviceable and not a very good charger

jonnyvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad 2 vibration

Hi.. I purchased an iPad 2 and noticed a vibrating feeling when I run my hand over the back cover!... This only occurs when the unit is charging.... It's not an actual vibration.. Just a vibrating feeling occurring in my fingers! Also if someone else is holding the iPad or I put my other hand on the back the vibration seems to stop so this must be earthing it or something!! Sounds similar to other comments on here!! I'm not sending it back though as I've waited a month to get it!!!

Reaction score
Maybe an odd question, but could it be, that induction is taking place, I.e. when the battery is getting charged, it creates a magnetic field. And since the back cover is aluminum, the circuit would be completed by touching it?

ZibaWal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
my ipad 2 wifi battery is draining too fast. i have firmware 4.3..1, and did not upgrade yet, anticipating jail break. apple offered to swap my ipad 2 so, it might have 4.3.2, should i take a chance? i dont think there is any point saving my shsh 4.3.1 with tiny umbrella, if it is machine specific and wont be able to use for a new replacement..confused..please advise me.

thanks

faizerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got the ipad2, the same thing happened to me! Is this normal?

Most reactions

Latest posts