Ipad 2 camera

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by Moonmaid, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Katoosh

Katoosh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Nice insight. But I also think if they don't upgrade the camera and they do double the resolution of the screen, people are going to be unhappy with FaceTime. It just won't look good with such a low resolution camera.

2. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Apple will have considered the variables, I expect. A lot of the same people who complain about camera quality now probably would complain if the cameras were upgraded and they suddenly found Skype, FaceTime, etc., unusable because their wifi or 3G connections were too slow to keep up.

3. KevinJS

KevinJS
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    My point exactly. I use Skype and FaceTime for transAtlantic calls. The iPad cameras are fine for that, and the extra bandwidth required for hires video would probably affect the call quality adversely. There are times even now where I have to turn off the video because the network is too slow.

Now if the camera was switchable between 8mp and 1mp...

4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I was thinking that that might be a possibility, but I don't know how much cost diff there'd be and whether it would create other demands technically that would have to be factored into production and servicing.

It'll be interesting to see what Apple delivers.

5. Katoosh

Katoosh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What if... It does an auto adjust depending on your bandwidth. It will do a higher resolution with less compression if both parties are on a good connection, lower res with more compression on a slow connection. Espn 3 does it, why can't apple?

That way we get upgraded cameras, folks with slow bandwidth can still have a smooth streaming video.