What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 camera...question to those who love it

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've read quite a few threads, especially on the 'do I, don't I upgrade' threads, about the benefits (or lack of) of having the camera. Lots of folk mention how crappy it is, many say they hardly use it and wouldn't bother upgrading for it, and some like me, love the camera and think it is one of its most useful features.

It in no way replaces my digi camera. There is no way I would take it out to take holiday snapshots, but as i keep it with me most of the time, I can see me using it to take photos in unexpected situations. Often, a high quality photo isn't required, and the iPad camera is completely adequate for every occasion I have needed it.

So i'd love to hear what you camera-lovers/users use your ipad cameras for.

I'll kick off, with just a few of the situations i've used the camera for:

The obvious ones; FaceTime and Skype
Taking a photo of a poster with info I needed, rather than copying the info down.
Taking a photo of a quiz a friend had so I could work on it in my own time and help her with some of the answers
Photographing an advert I had seen in the paper for something my friend was looking for then emailing it to her ( saved copying down all the info)
Taking a copy of a menu to share with someone to see if it suited them. (and many other examples where a photo has saved me lots of copying down of info)
Numerous screen saves from websites (can you do this with the original iPad?)
Adding photos to this forum to help answer a question
Taking a photo of a set of keys and emailing it to my parents to see if they were for their house
Etc etc etc

The beauty of the camera for me is just how instantly I can forward the photo on, either by email or by adding to a website. After a painful conversation with my mum ( "I have a set of keys here...are they for your house? One of them has a sticky out bit, then it goes in a bit, then it goes in a bit more...") when it suddenly struck me there was an easier way, and literally within minutes my mum was able to see the keys, compare them with her own and phone me back with the answer. Brilliant!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I find it useful for many of the same things you do, where quality is not an issue, and the small size of the photo can actually be a benefit. Sometimes I wish my iPhone's camera would let me downgrade it's quality. (yes, I'm sure I can find a third party camera app that will do this, I'm lazy :) )

Of course, a better camera would work just as well for the quick stuff and offer more room for creativity. I've used a few iPhone scanning apps for creating documents, and while they work the quality of the documents suffer.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh just for the record. Do not turn this thread into what you hate about the ipad2 camera or how bad you may think it is.

This thread is for those who "love it" ~

Negative posts will be deleted.;)

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've taken screen shots of pages from manuals I've saved in iBooks and kept them in the camera roll for easy access when I was trying to figure out how to use a feature on the iPad or on a new receiver.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For the record, screen shots do not require the camera. They work just fine on the iPad 1. And yes, they are very handy.

Something else I like about the camera; Photo Booth. It keeps my simple mind entertained, especially when you switch it to the back camera and see what kind of artsy shots you can make. :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Exactly. That's what I use. I don't have the ipad2.:(

Imagine how much fun you'll have with the 3. :D

AppleBurst.jpg

PhotoBooth plus a bit of PS Express. I won't call it art, but it's fun.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the record, screen shots do not require the camera. They work just fine on the iPad 1. And yes, they are very handy.

Something else I like about the camera; Photo Booth. It keeps my simple mind entertained, especially when you switch it to the back camera and see what kind of artsy shots you can make. :D
Yeah, I knew that. Since the OP mentioned screen saves I just thought I'd toss that in there.:)

OP
Jockscrap

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
idave23 said:
Yeah, I knew that. Since the OP mentioned screen saves I just thought I'd toss that in there.:)

I didn't know if the iPad did screen shots. It's great that they do. Such a useful feature. I lump screen shots and photos together because they all end up in the camera roll, so for the purposes of this thread, i'm interested to hear how you all use the screen shot function too, and that way we can all play along :)

Great idea of taking a screen shot of a page in iBooks.

Twerppoet: your creation is definitely art in my book. I must have a play with Photo booth.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jockscrap said:
I didn't know if the iPad did screen shots. It's great that they do. Such a useful feature. I lump screen shots and photos together because they all end up in the camera roll, so for the purposes of this thread, i'm interested to hear how you all use the screen shot function too, and that way we can all play along :)

Great idea of taking a screen shot of a page in iBooks.

Twerppoet: your creation is definitely art in my book. I must have a play with Photo booth.

Just touch the home and on/off buttons together quickly, you screenshot will then be in your photos app..

The Archangel

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the camera, I'd rather have one than not, and it's good enough for me. I have an iPhone too and I could take photos with that but I like the big screen of the iPad. I have taken photos of signs, maps, recipes, a giant jigsaw of 5000 pieces and when we moved our tv and other electronics, I took photos of all the connections, that in itself was a godsend. I like being able to take photos and videos of my girls when they are unaware of it. I also have an app that catalogues the contents of my house, it's been so easy to include photos with it. It would never replace a normal camera, it's just too cumbersome for that type of photography. Also love the screen shot. I use this all the time. I love art and dabble a bit and when I come across a great photo or design I take a screen shot. So so glad it's there.

Most reactions

Latest posts