What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 battery draining faster since 6.1 JB

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, no, please don't ever use the Reset tab on a jail broken iPad. When an iPad is jail broken, some of its system files get moved around and the Reset function(s) will not work. Guaranteed, you will bork up your iPad and have to start all over with a fresh install [anyway].

Your best bet is to download the 6.1.2 iOS (if you don't already have it) and use DFU mode to install it "fresh." Then, you can start all over again with a new jail break. Do note that if you don't put your backup on - you'll REALLY be starting from scratch; it'll be like new. Of course, you'll have to manually put everything back on and reset your Settings. But, sometimes, the effort helps in "cleaning" up.

Marilyn

Does this apply to both jailbroken iPads and iPhones? Is it also what one's supposed to do before selling or giving away the device (i.e. will the DFU mode actually also "wipe" the storage space (as per DoD 5220.22-M perhaps?), or can previous incarnation's user files be restored somehow?)?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does this apply to both jailbroken iPads and iPhones? Is it also what one's supposed to do before selling or giving away the device (i.e. will the DFU mode actually also "wipe" the storage space (as per DoD 5220.22-M perhaps?), or can previous incarnation's user files be restored somehow?)?

Yes, it applies to all IOS devices. You can't use the "reset" option in the Settings menu to wipe a jailbroken device.

We would recommend a full restore if your device is being given away / sold. A restore is akin to formatting the disk and installing a fresh copy of IOS. There is no difference whether you use DFU mode or not in terms of the end result, and to be clear there is no way to perform a forensic "wipe" of the entire storage such as one that would be compliant with DoD 5220.22-M AFAIK.

DFU mode is simply used as a failsafe to cater for any corruption or unexpected data stored on the iPad.

IMHO the risk of the next user of your device being in a position to retrieve usable data though forensic examination of the unused raw storage on the device is so low to be almost non-existent.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, formatting a disk doesn't do sh*t, pardon my "French"... :) So there's no such tool as e.g. DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) or SDelete equivalent on iOS? Although I do remember reading about file system being encrypted by default on iOS, but I can't remember the details -- not sure if it was related to passcode lock and whether a device without it is encrypted at all (so that may be a little safer than the default Windows/Linux filesystem).

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, formatting a disk doesn't do sh*t, pardon my "French"... :) So there's no such tool as e.g. DBAN (Darik's Boot and Nuke) or SDelete equivalent on iOS? Although I do remember reading about file system being encrypted by default on iOS, but I can't remember the details -- not sure if it was related to passcode lock and whether a device without it is encrypted at all (so that may be a little safer than the default Windows/Linux filesystem).

As I said, I believe the risk is minimal, but not non-existent. Given the right skills, ambition, and circumstances, anything is possible.

One course of action could be to restore the device and fill it completely with new data via iTunes, then use the "Erase all contents & settings" option (which will succeed this time, since the device is not jailbroken). That will secure wipe all user data, and since you filled the device, it should in theory overwrite anything in the RAW storage left over from the first time. But nothing is guaranteed ;)

Enterprise customers also have to ability to secure wipe devices remotely, but must admit I have never checked whether this is any different to running the option mentioned above (and it would likely have to be unjailbroken first to succeed).

If you are paranoid about such things, you should probably be taking a sledge hammer to your old iPad and not selling it on / passing it on to a 3rd party ;)

Last edited:

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Given the fact that 6.1.3 is out now -- if I do the DFU mode procedure tomorrow, will it get into 6.1.3? I want to keep it on 6.1.2 just in case the next owner wants to jailbreak it...

Edit: I suppose I download 6.1.2 from here http://iosdl.com/ although I don't know if this is a valid source, I just found it on Google.

Last edited:

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you restore now you will get 6.1.3. You can no longer put 6.1.2 back on it since Apple has stopped signing that version.

Most reactions

Latest posts