What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 Backup

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for an external hard drive, compact, that I can connect to my iPad 2. I'd like a product that uses easily found cords (!) that is small enough for a shoulder bag, tote, or drawer.

I'd also appreciate recommendations for backup software.

Lastly, if possible, I'd like to connect (what cords?) my iPad 2 to my Windows (sorry, dirty word) netbook and backup to an external hard drive. Can I cross-communicate/cross-pollinate?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Hi there

You might find life so much easier and flexible (and cheaper) if you continue to back up through being connected to itunes. Connecting an external drive straight to the ipad i'm unsure of. (there are threads in here though)

Here's what i do.

I purchased one of these -

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-Essential-Arctic-White-Portable/dp/B004445JIQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1313147483&sr=1-4"]WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Arctic White Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

most awesome and cheap. 1 small cable/wire. On this i have not only my whole current and active itunes library, but all my itunes purchases and backups, all my ripped music and movies and all my own personal work as well.

it means i can roam around wherever i feel, using whatever itunes enabled computer i wish (mac and windows) with my complete itunes library and backups in a portable drive with me at all times. great when im on holiday, away on business or visiting relatives. means im not tied down to 1 main pc. i still periodically back this disc up on my main pc for security reasons, but other than that i feel so much more free and easier than whn i had to rely on 1 main itunes enabled pc all the time.

it's so easy

Last edited:

snowboarder8985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can try it, but you need an external desktop hdd with it's own power source.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
OK - Guys - I guess the question is that whether one can backup the entire iPad to an external device such as a HD?

From my understanding, iTunes is the only way for a complete backup - now I have backup my music & photos to an external HD but concerning apps (and their files), I'm assuming that iTunes is the only option (now I've not jailbroken my iPad2, so cannot comment on those potential options).

So my question is whether I'm missing something here - thanks! :)

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. You've given me alot to learn. I'm very new to MAC.

So, I can backup all apps to iTunes? How easy is this to do? How secure?. If my iPad were to crash, how easy is to restore from iTunes?

Being a Windows baby I'm used to external backups. Never had to worry about pwer source, just plug into your desktop, click go and wait a few hours.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Backing up all apps to iTunes is easy. You just use the 'transfer purchases' option in the iPad section in iTunes.

If your iPad were to crash, you can restore to the exact same state using the restore from disk option. Just make sure you back it up once in a while.

I too am a windows user, but as I say, keeping everything on my external pocket drive ( which doesn't need an external power plug ) is a dream.

ShepK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 was stolen. When the replacemet iPad arrives when I sync it with iTunes and restore data, will that data include such things as calendar enries, notepad entries, etc? I know all apps will be restored but it's all the personal entries that I need back, just like saved file restore on my desk-top.

Shep

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless the iPad is jail broken, it will not support an external drive cable connected. It will work with a new Seagate wireless external.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Pinkipad said:
I'm MAC stupid. In iTunes I see no option for an iPad section. Where 's it hidin'!?!?

When your iPad is connected it will show up under devices on the left hand panel of iTunes, you should be able to transfer purchases from there.

cygnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.mobileoutlet.com.au
Hi there

You might find life so much easier and flexible (and cheaper) if you continue to back up through being connected to itunes. Connecting an external drive straight to the ipad i'm unsure of. (there are threads in here though)

Here's what i do.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Arctic White Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

most awesome and cheap. 1 small cable/wire. On this i have not only my whole current and active itunes library, but all my itunes purchases and backups, all my ripped music and movies and all my own personal work as well.

it means i can roam around wherever i feel, using whatever itunes enabled computer i wish (mac and windows) with my complete itunes library and backups in a portable drive with me at all times. great when im on holiday, away on business or visiting relatives. means im not tied down to 1 main pc. i still periodically back this disc up on my main pc for security reasons, but other than that i feel so much more free and easier than whn i had to rely on 1 main itunes enabled pc all the time.

it's so easy
I agree with this post, have one myself, you can carry it around in your pocket, very sleek in design too....awesome external drive, although I have had problems with WD external drives in the past...Lets hope the controller in this drive doesn't fail like the myBooks do!

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pinkipad said:
I'm MAC stupid. In iTunes I see no option for an iPad section. Where 's it hidin'!?!?

When your iPad is connected it will show up under devices on the left hand panel of iTunes, you should be able to transfer purchases from there.

Hm, I open and it shows Categories. On the bottom are links but none say devices. No left sidebar.

Online, the iTunes page has no sidebar, just lots of text.

I do remember seeing a left hand sidebar but cant remember which app/website. I suffer severe memory loss due to my recent illness.

OP
P

Pinkipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there

Here's what i do.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Arctic White Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

it's so easy
I agree with this post, have one myself, you can carry it around in your pocket, very sleek in design too....awesome external drive, although I have had problems with WD external drives in the past...Lets hope the controller in this drive doesn't fail like the myBooks do!

But that would backup all the data I would backup to iTunes? Connects by one cable? And if the iPad crashes, I can restore from either?

I've yet to put music or books on this iPad as I have the Kindle to read and iPod for music

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
yes. itunes is just the outlet. the front end. itunes, whatever machine you're on, needs to source your media from somewhere. why not use a portable drive rather than a permanent C drive? thats all my system does.
And as i say, this portable drive stores all itunes/ipod/ipad back up data and restore data

Most reactions

Latest posts