What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 as wireless 3g router

Suranga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to the whole iPad business so pardon me if this sounds silly. Is there any way you can use the iPad as a wireless 3G router? On android phones you get the option to make a wifi hotspot and allow other devices to connect to the Internet connection of the phone. So I'm wondering if the iPad too has the same option and if so what is the application that needs to be downloaded.

Appreciate any replies.
Thanks.

jaymz77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not yet, this requires a jailbreak, which we are waiting for ;)

copter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to admit I was really disappointed that this feature was not on the iPad 2. Why would they remove it from the iPad IOS???

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just use your iPhone as a mobile hotspot

for the iPad, not the other way around. No jailbreaks required, a standard part of iOs.

OP
S

Suranga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully then iOS 5 will have it. Switching from android to apple has so far been a bit of a disappointment.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully then iOS 5 will have it. Switching from android to apple has so far been a bit of a disappointment.

I feel your pain. :) On the other hand, as my mother would have said, "Focus on the positive, son." Apple's underlying design philosophy is fundamentally different from Google's in many ways. That's not surprising given the fact that Apple manufactures its own hardware and (unless market forces demand it) strives both to limit a consumer's choices to Apple devices and to functionality Apple can easily support.

That approach inevitably disappoints in a number of ways but it also means that Apple can provide a far more consistent and friendly user experience for most consumers. The fact that it also fills the coffers at Apple is just a coincidence. :)

OP
S

Suranga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
I feel your pain. :) On the other hand, as my mother would have said, "Focus on the positive, son." Apple's underlying design philosophy is fundamentally different from Google's in many ways. That's not surprising given the fact that Apple manufactures its own hardware and (unless market forces demand it) strives both to limit a consumer's choices to Apple devices and to functionality Apple can easily support.

That approach inevitably disappoints in a number of ways but it also means that Apple can provide a far more consistent and friendly user experience for most consumers. The fact that it also fills the coffers at Apple is just a coincidence. :)

True......

copter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
graywolf said:
If you jailbreak, download itether.

There is no jailbreak for the iPad 2. Besides Mifi is by far the best tethering product.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts