What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 as speaker phone...

OtterWA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day all,

i was curious if there was a free calling app out there that would act as a speaker phone? just one way really is all that i am looking for.

the situation is, i would like to call into this one number to listen in a discourse that i am not physically able to travel to. i would call a number, enter a 6-digit passcode and then listen in to the discourse. the discourse can last between 45-min to 105-minutes depending on the day and speaker running over time.

this would be one way as i do not need to speak. just receiving info from the discourse. i would also like to use my home network even though i do have an AT&T account

yes, i could use a standard land line. but do you know how hard it is taking notes while holding a phone between your neck and shoulder? heck of a neck crick, let me tell ya!

i know of Whistle Phone. however, that is 20 minute listening time before one needs to call in, right? any other possible solutions?

thank you all!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day all,

i was curious if there was a free calling app out there that would act as a speaker phone? just one way really is all that i am looking for.

the situation is, i would like to call into this one number to listen in a discourse that i am not physically able to travel to. i would call a number, enter a 6-digit passcode and then listen in to the discourse. the discourse can last between 45-min to 105-minutes depending on the day and speaker running over time.

this would be one way as i do not need to speak. just receiving info from the discourse. i would also like to use my home network even though i do have an AT&T account

yes, i could use a standard land line. but do you know how hard it is taking notes while holding a phone between your neck and shoulder? heck of a neck crick, let me tell ya!

i know of Whistle Phone. however, that is 20 minute listening time before one needs to call in, right? any other possible solutions?

thank you all!

There is an iPhone Skype app that works just fine on the iPad. There is supposed to be an iPad-specific Skype app out 'any day soon' (was supposed to have been last week) but, for now, the iPhone one works just fine.

Tim

OP
OtterWA

OtterWA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim.

was not sure if Skype was a dedicated video AND call or i could use it for just call.

any other ones?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim.

was not sure if Skype was a dedicated video AND call or i could use it for just call.

any other ones?

You can just use Skype as audio only - and you can call either other Skype users or regular landlines. Calls to other Skype users are free, to landlines it depends on the country, some places they're free and other places there's a nominal charge.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you could try Talkatone? It runs with/off Google Voice (in that you set up a Google voice account to get a number).

With it, you can make calls within the USA for free. I don't know of a limit as to how long you can keep the line open (and a quick Google search doesn't mention anything).

I use it as my primary phone app on my iPad and really like it. It works superb over WiFi, but it's a little laggy on 3G. However, since you just want to listen, I should think that lagginess wouldn't be a factor.

Worth a try maybe? Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
OtterWA

OtterWA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
G'day all,

last night i was able to try out both Skype and Talkatone.

Skype was not allowing me to call the phone number i needed to, let alone my cell or even my landline.

Talkatone was very much a success. there were a few very brief periods of garbled "poor connection" that i experienced. however, for the most part, this was a success.

thank you both for your suggestion.

Most reactions

Latest posts