What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 as gps?

Vector18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone using their Ipad 2 Wifi only model as a gps system? If so, what device are they using? Let me know, thanks!

OP
V

Vector18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have the Bad Elf gps system for their ipad? I just found it and it seems to be the only 'apple' approved unit?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From my understanding, if you own only the Ipad Wi-Fi model, then the satellite GPS system is just NOT available (BTW - my iPad is just Wi-Fi also); thus, this model of iPad is not going to function as a standard GPS - now under Wi-Fi, if triangulation can be used w/ enough active Wi-Fi stations available, your iPad can be localized but likely not as accurately as an iPad w/ 3G-GPS.

Not sure if there is some type of docking attachment to a Wi-Fi iPad that might add GPS - I've not seen that option but is not an expert - a little discussion HERE might be of interest?

Looking forward to any comments on this topic - rather confusing - :)

OP
V

Vector18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, the bad elf makes an attachment that plugs into out wifi only models and dual makes a unit that connects via blutooth. There are options out there for wifi only iPads. I'm basically looking for feedback from anyone that owns one already. Each device is roughly 100 bucks so I would rather not purchase one and find out it's not that great.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier, the bad elf makes an attachment that plugs into out wifi only models and dual makes a unit that connects via blutooth. There are options out there for wifi only iPads. I'm basically looking for feedback from anyone that owns one already. Each device is roughly 100 bucks so I would rather not purchase one and find out it's not that great.

Well, as I said only a docking attachment would likely provide the GPS function that you desire on a Wi-Fi only iPad - just looked at the Bad Elf GPS Receiver on Amazon HERE - seems to be an option for your needs - I have a Garmin GPS device already so not of interest to me - but others who have used this system will hopefully post - good luck! :)

OP
V

Vector18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, the dual unit connects via blutooth but again, like I said, I want to hear some feedback before I spend money on anything. I too have a garmin, but I have multiple vehicles and I would love to utilize my iPad to it's fullest potential. I will also be using it as a universal remote for my AV system.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I know there are more discussions in the forum about Bad Elf than this, but the search engine has decreed the words too short and/or common to merit it's notice. ;)

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/45045-bluetooth-gps-2.html

Another way to search the forum, one that often works better than the forum's search engine (at least for posts older than a couple days) is to use Google"s advanced search. After you've entered the keywords (bad, elf, gps) go to the last field where it says search within a site or domain and enter iPadForums.net

prodenver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a Dual GPS for my flight navigation software. It gets its signals without needing 3G. Supposedly it gets signals from up to 12 satellites. It has worked great for me, but I do have 3G on my iPad2. I can't guarantee that it will work on a Wifi only device. Just contact Dual and they'll let you know. I prefer the Dual because on long trips I want to be able to plug in a power source to the iPad. The Bad Elf plugs into the iPad port so you can't plug in your power source too. I recently flew over East Texas and I know there was no 3G but the GPS did still work.

prodenver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a Dual GPS for my flight navigation software. It gets its signals without needing 3G. Supposedly it gets signals from up to 12 satellites. It has worked great for me, but I do have 3G on my iPad2. I can't guarantee that it will work on a Wifi only device. Just contact Dual and they'll let you know. I prefer the Dual because on long trips I want to be able to plug in a power source to the iPad. The Bad Elf plugs into the iPad port so you can't plug in your power source too. I recently flew over East Texas and I know there was no 3G but the GPS did still work.

GPS Solutions for Active Lifestyles

HITMAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got the Dual GPS the 150 and down loaded the free app "NAVFREE" and spend the $1.99 for the patch to revoke the ads I used it today the only problem I had was that i ran into new construction and that's not the Duals fault ... my street is out for almost 2 years now (waiting for FEMA) and let "NAVFREE" no the the street was closed and now every route I put in know the road is out,\.
Like I say say I just got the Dual and i really like it..... the Dual connects over bluetooth so you can use you phone and laptop .
There half dozen app's for the Dual like Tom Tom,Garmin, Magellan but there like $60.

The plug-in unit really stress's you iPad connector plus id stay away from it.

The Dual is fast I compared it to my Droid2 GPS and it blew it away.

digger07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
For what it's worth i have had not a chance to actually use it in the field but, i just got the Bad Elf Gps unit and had it attached to both iPod Touch 4th Gen and iPad 1st Gen here at home and it seems to work just fine. The Apps i tried it with are VMS and Mud Map. Using it with the iPod Touch and the Mud Map App, there is flickering within the app-screen but gps positioning is accurate to 15+=meters on both iPod and iPad.
I will also notify Mud Map and VMS ( same Company) as they requested feedback from me using their apps with a Bad Elf GPS Receiver.
Hope this helps

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the Dual bluetooth GPS receiver and it works great with my iPad 2 wifi. It gets signal lock quickly with the satellites provided it has a clear view of the sky.

The only concern I have is that my iPad 2 is noticeably warm after using it in my car for about an hour (on my drive to work). I have Navigon and usually am running the Audible iPhone app to listen to audiobooks while driving to work. And this is in the early morning when it is still dark out.

Anyone else notice this? Is it a problem is what I really want to know. I don't think I've ever noticed my iPad 2 get even slightly warm.

Most reactions