What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Apps not working, Help!

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded to 4.3.3 and the latest iTunes and I did a full restore of my iPad as I upgraded but now all of the apps I downloaded wont open.

I get a quick flash of the app for less than a second, then it immediately cuts to black and goes back to the home screen. The apps are in the multitasking bar

However this is only with the apps, which I downloaded (Including the Apple ones like Pages).

I've searched various forums that have suggested soft reset, hard reset, reboot, restore and I've done all of these...numerous times!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - try this. Open the multi-task bar by double-tapping the Home button.

Press and hold any icon in the multitask bar until they start to jiggle.

The icons should have an 'X' in the top left hand corner.

Touch that 'X' to close each app - you have to do them one at a time - until none of the apps show in the multitask bar.

Touch the Home button to return to the Home screen.

Try opening the apps again and see if they work OK.

Good Luck

Tim

OP
E

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - try this. Open the multi-task bar by double-tapping the Home button.

Press and hold any icon in the multitask bar until they start to jiggle.

The icons should have an 'X' in the top left hand corner.

Touch that 'X' to close each app - you have to do them one at a time - until none of the apps show in the multitask bar.

Touch the Home button to return to the Home screen.

Try opening the apps again and see if they work OK.

Good Luck

Tim

Nope, no luck :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try the reset one more time, just in case.

Hold down the power and home button until the Apple logo appears (ignore power off slider if you see it). The iPad should reboot. Could take a while.

If that does not work you can try connecting it to iTunes on the Computer and Restoring it. Not from backup, just a restore. If that works (after testing the basic apps) you could try restoring from backup again and see what happens.

Before you do that, go into iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and turn off auto-sync. You'll want to do that so you don't accidentally backup the iPad after the first restore.Do not let the iPad sync in between the first restore and the restore from backup; otherwise there will be no backup to restore to latter.

If this does not work, or even before you try it if you prefer, call Apple Tech support. A reset should have fixed it. If a restore does not, then you are best off with the experts, if for no other reason than that they will probably walk you through these same steps before deciding you need your iPad replaced.

OP
E

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hold down the power and home button until the Apple logo appears (ignore power off slider if you see it). The iPad should reboot. Could take a while.

If that does not work you can try connecting it to iTunes on the Computer and Restoring it. Not from backup, just a restore. If that works (after testing the basic apps) you could try restoring from backup again and see what happens.

Before you do that, go into iTunes Preferences, the Devices tab, and turn off auto-sync. You'll want to do that so you don't accidentally backup the iPad after the first restore.Do not let the iPad sync in between the first restore and the restore from backup; otherwise there will be no backup to restore to latter.

If this does not work, or even before you try it if you prefer, call Apple Tech support. A reset should have fixed it. If a restore does not, then you are best off with the experts, if for no other reason than that they will probably walk you through these same steps before deciding you need your iPad replaced.

Ok, Thanks - I'm going to call them up

I was going to get it replaced because of screen bleeding anyway but wanted to wait a bit so I could upgrade from 32GB wifi to 64GB 3G

RCal

iPF Noob
Reaction score

:thumbs:Thanks, that worked for me! I hope this is not something I'll have to constantly do! :p

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple only recommends the reset if you the iPad is unresponsive; however experience has show it sometimes help with other problems that a restart does not; and there have been not reports of it ever causing a problem.

You should rarely need to use a reset. It's often the last option before a restore. Here are a list of common fixes, including a reset. Typically you try them in the order listed; though if you've got general problem with all apps or the system you should start with the restart.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Last edited:

Most reactions