What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 and setting up att email (not yahoo)

Quadgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, all. I am new to the forum and here through great frustration. I have been using the mail feature on my ipad with my bellsouth.net email through att dsl. Well, yesterday I switched to the U-verse high speed internet with new 2wire modem. Today I have spent much time with customer support when I could not access mail through their yahoo association. Finally got that right for computers,but no luck with Ipad. I can go through safari to att.net (kept same emaiaddress ) but that is not as easy as hitting the mail icon. I tried adding another mail acct. with what I think is the correct ingoing and outgoing stuff, but it cant validate. Is it possible that the ipad is not compatible with my new att.net stuff versus my old att/yahoo? That was so simple to set up. One more confounding issue is that I did go to ios 5 last night (had to reinstall most apps afterwards -yuk) and do not really think that is the issue. I was happily using mail today u til the time the uverse guy cancelled my old dsl (which I had to request so I don't get double billed), then all of a sudden, i could not send an email or receive. Sorry this is long - wanted to give lots of info. Any help out there? I tried, btw, "inbound.att.net" and outbound.att.net insetting up new mail as well as wi5) pop in front to no avail. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read something on ATT's Email support page saying that If you signed up for a free att.net email account after 6/12/11, you will not be able to use an email program (e.g., Outlook) with your AT&T email account.Does this apply to you?

OP
Q

Quadgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really don't think it applies since I have the same email address and when I check email on safari going to at&t.net it redirects back to a yahoo mobile page. Just do not know why uverse guy did not say anything about this. I thought in saving my email adress, all would stay the same, just a new modem/router with much higher speeds. Strange.

Chuck6264

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quadgirl said:
I really don't think it applies since I have the same email address and when I check email on safari going to at&t.net it redirects back to a yahoo mobile page. Just do not know why uverse guy did not say anything about this. I thought in saving my email adress, all would stay the same, just a new modem/router with much higher speeds. Strange.

Are you able to use a mail client on your computer ? Are you Mac or PC?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you tried setting up using the Yahoo account option and your AT&T email and password?

I don't really expect it to work, but it is all I can think of.

OP
Q

Quadgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I did just leave my old yahoo stuff, but did not think of trying it with new wep key or whatever. I think it is a 2wire router issue, but att uverse says i will have to pay them for ipad support, so wont be doing that. Justnshould not be so hard. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

Jehosfat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having same issues getting att.net email addresses set up on an iPad 2, running IOS5, and Apple Mail.

Following advice from this post am NOT setting up as Yahoo addresses using the wizard. Choosing "other". It defaults to setting it up as IMAP. So in order to get it to go to POP settings, have been turning it to AIRPLANE mode, so that it can't automatically check the settings. This allows you to CHOOSE POP over IMAP. (Was going to post the links to the posts where I read about this, but apparently, I'm not allowed to post links. Ask me later if you're interested)

But still have not been able to get the settings to work, even though I've simply been copying the server settings from the set up on the desktop computer (Thunderbird on Windows 7 and XP).

For incoming servers, I"ve tried:

fpostoffice.isp.att.net
ipostoffice.att.net
pop.att.yahoo.com
inbound.att.net (saw update that AT&T had updated their servers to this, but the pop.att.yahoo.net is still working on the desktops) (AGAIN: was going to link to relevant post, but I can't post links)

and always had it set to SSL and Port 995

for OUTGOING servers, I've tried:

fhostmail.isp.att.net
imailhost.att.net
smtp.att.yahoo.com
outbound.att.net (saw update that AT&T had updated their servers to this, but the pop.att.yahoo.net is still working on the desktops)

and set the OUTGOING port to 465.

And have got nothing.

AT&T's support page for setting up email on the IPad has screenshots, but it shows the setup for a GMAIL address. NOT the settings for ATT.NET email addresses, so has not been very helpful.

Thanks in Advance!

Jehosfat

Most reactions

Latest posts