What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 and iOS 5 and iMessage

fitcious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey everyone,

quick question:

i have a ipad 2 16 gig wifi, no 3G. since apple announced iMessage (similar to BBM), what app do i use to use this function? I was doing some research and it said it connects automatically to your messaging. Since my Ipad isn't a phone, what app is this "messaging" app? Thanks!

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It will be available with iOS 5 in the fall, which is a good while away. I think what they are saying is that if you have an iPhone, the messages (text app) and imessages will be one in the same. As for the iPad, wait for iOS 5 to be released in a few months, update the iPad, and bam you should have the imessages app on there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Which means like FaceTime it will probably work through a combination of phone number and email addresses, depending on your device and current internet connection.

But it's speculation. We just don't have enough details yet. Since iOS 5 is already available to developers I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of (wink, wink, I didn't tell you this) leaks over the next several days.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Which means like FaceTime it will probably work through a combination of phone number and email addresses, depending on your device and current internet connection.

But it's speculation. We just don't have enough details yet. Since iOS 5 is already available to developers I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of (wink, wink, I didn't tell you this) leaks over the next several days.

I will give y'all some good screenies this afternoon. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it's part of the non-disclosure agreement, I'd just as soon wait rather than have you risk Apple's displeasure. I'm not sure it still applies, since they've announced the product, but don't do anything you might regret. We can wait. :)

kingkhan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey everyone,

quick question:

i have a ipad 2 16 gig wifi, no 3G. since apple announced iMessage (similar to BBM), what app do i use to use this function? I was doing some research and it said it connects automatically to your messaging. Since my Ipad isn't a phone, what app is this "messaging" app? Thanks!

the details i found regarding iMessage, indicates that it is automatic service and do not need any messaging app, and asks for an Apple iD

What if I have an iPod Touch and no iPhone?
Users with an iPod Touch can send/receive iMessages by using their Apple ID. You even have the option of changing your “Caller ID†from your phone number to your email address.​

koraleek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having trouble as well. I have an ipad wi-fi (not the 3g version), not able to send messages from imessage. Also if I send an imessage from my iphone to my ipad (can only use the icloud id for it) it goes to the emails not the imessage. How do I set this up properly?

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well in order to use imessage, the other person that you txt have to had imessage installed too!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

XonixZA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, something does not make sense here. I have installed iOS5 on both my phone and my ipad2. When trying to send a message from my iPad (no 3G but connected to the world via WiFi) I get this message: <NUMBER> is not registered with iMessage. This stands true for contacts whom I know can use iMessage. Even when I try and send a message to myself. Anyone has any idea of how to get this to work?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just tried it last night on my iPad 2 for the first time last night and it worked great, I was initially texting on my Phone and then switched to my iPad to continue the conversation. Quite impressed with how seamless it was.
If you are having issues with it, check under Settings\Messages and make sure you have your iTunes email address populated under the receive at option so that your iPad is essentially registered with the iMessaging service.

XonixZA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
donka said:
I just tried it last night on my iPad 2 for the first time last night and it worked great, I was initially texting on my Phone and then switched to my iPad to continue the conversation. Quite impressed with how seamless it was.
If you are having issues with it, check under Settings\Messages and make sure you have your iTunes email address populated under the receive at option so that your iPad is essentially registered with the iMessaging service.

Hello Donka, thanks for the reponse. I do have my itunes email address in there, and also another one, still nothing. Maybe there is another setting somewhere, I will keep on trying...

NickyG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my email set up right under settings too and it doesn't work for me either. I tried messaging my husband on his phone after he got iOS5, and couldn't do it. He messaged me, and I could reply, but only once, and then I couldn't reply again.

Most reactions

Latest posts