What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 and 1 same screen?

Nugga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello everyone.

One little thing i noticed when i compared my iPad 2 with my fathers old iPad was that the screen on the iPad 2 looks a bit better. Like the colors and the screen is just a bit more clear.
I know the resolution is exactly the same, but could it be that the screen is still not the same or is it my fathers iPad which has lost picture quality over time?

OP
N

Nugga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ohh well okay.
I read that they bought them from different suppliers, but i thought they all made them the same way.

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read that iPad 2 glass is thinner than iPad 1, so it might make slight difference for viewing (i.e. less diffraction).

OP
N

Nugga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay thank you.
That is some pretty nice reading

I've read that iPad 2 glass is thinner than iPad 1, so it might make slight difference for viewing (i.e. less diffraction).

Yea that brings my to another topic.
Do you know if it is another type of glass? It feels a bit harder in my opinion, i might be wrong?

Bratan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nugga said:
okay thank you.
That is some pretty nice reading

Yea that brings my to another topic.
Do you know if it is another type of glass? It feels a bit harder in my opinion, i might be wrong?

No idea, probably same "gorilla glass". How do feel difference in hardness, did u bite it? :D

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We also had the two iPads side by side and the iPad 2 screen is dramatically different. I'll read that Anand link now, but my gut feeling is that the contrast is better and it just feels "deeper".

Woot, 2000 posts.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We also had the two iPads side by side and the iPad 2 screen is dramatically different. I'll read that Anand link now, but my gut feeling is that the contrast is better and it just feels "deeper".

Woot, 2000 posts.

2000 posts!

:ipad-keyboard::ipad-front::ipad-back::) Congrats! :ipad-keyboard::ipad-front::ipad-back::)

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also with more graphics power under the hood the iPad 2 can spend some of that smoothing and anti-alias tricks.

The glass is clearly different. Not sure if its Corning or Asahi but the flex tests that have been done by 3rd parties shows it's far more durable then the iPad 1s glass.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The glass is the same from my understanding, but they found a way to make it thinner and stronger. Less glass is less work to get the graphics to shine, and with the better graphics refreshing, a lot better looking. Also, do not forget that as any screen ages, it has a tendency to darken.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also with more graphics power under the hood the iPad 2 can spend some of that smoothing and anti-alias tricks.

The glass is clearly different. Not sure if its Corning or Asahi but the flex tests that have been done by 3rd parties shows it's far more durable then the iPad 1s glass.

If you read Anandtech.com review ... Anand got a glass expert to analyze the strength of the two different cover glass panels. As I recall they are both of the Gorilla Glass family, but the thinner glass is more flexible, has better edge support (adhesive all around 100), but there was reference to some additive chemicals to enhance the chemical structure.

At the end they do not recommend you drop test your new shiny computers.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Purely subjective, but I find the newer screen looks better when side by side with an iPad1.
I can accept the screen would darken over time, but that noticeably just over a year?

Most reactions

Latest posts