What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[ipad 2] always go back to home screen

wincylim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi there.
im new to apple gadget and i jz got mine an ipad2 recently.
it's 2 weeks old but i don't understand why it always go back to home screen whenever im using an app. for eg, note plus or other games.
can someone teach me how to fix it?
do i have to send back to apple under warranty?
can someone please enlighten me?

thanks

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Can you be more specific? What do you mean when you say that "it always goes back to the home screen"? Does it do that unexpectedly when you're using an app or playing a game? The only thing that should cause the iPad to return to the home screen is if you press the home button...the round button on the face of the iPad.

It's remotely possible that it's running out of memory. Do you close the apps that you've used periodically? If not, you should. Simply double-click on the home button and the screen will slide up slightly to reveal all of your open apps. Touch and hold any one of the app icons until they all start to jiggle slightly. A minus sign in a red circle will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each app. Touch the the minus sign and the app will close. Do that for each app until none are left open. That will free up memory it may need.

If on the other hand it is just returning to the home screen without any reason, then yes, I'd say there's something wrong with it. If that's the case you should call Apple Care and discuss a return. Here is their number in the U.S.:

U.S. Technical Support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

Here is a list of numbers for other countries:

Contacting Apple for support and service

P.S. It would be a good idea to remove your email address from your location profile. Internet "bots" set up by bad guys scour forums and the like to find exposed emails and will use them for spam.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
W

wincylim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there.. It occurs unexpectedly when I'm using. For eg, when I'm playing games or using some apps. I did close all the apps when I'm not using it which is exactly like wat u said, I double clicked the home button... I did setting reset yesterday but the problem still exist ... So sad...I don't know what happened to it... :(

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you power the iPad completely down by pressing and holding the Power button until the slider control appears and then accepting the offer to power down? If you accept that offer, a rotating white bezel will appear for a while as the iPad shuts down. When the screen is completely blank, press the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad will power up.

See if that helps.

Tim

OP
W

wincylim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you power the iPad completely down by pressing and holding the Power button until the slider control appears and then accepting the offer to power down? If you accept that offer, a rotating white bezel will appear for a while as the iPad shuts down. When the screen is completely blank, press the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad will power up.

See if that helps.

Tim

Dear Tim,
Yes, I tried to off it completely. It function normally but after awhile, the problem occurs again...:confused: I'm so confused..

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The commonest cause of the iPad returning to the Home screen is an 'out of RAM' (system memory). If an app unexpectedly runs out of RAM then the app usually has no option but to quit. But this shouldn't happen - particularly with an iPad2, which has 512 MB RAM as compared to the iPad1's 256 MB. Try to keep a note of whether it always occurs with the same app (could be a bug, so you'd need to contact the Developer) or whether it occurs completely at random and in any app at any time, in which case it could be a hardware fault. But let's not go there yet and we'll perservere with the 'investigation' of the problem.

Tim

OP
W

wincylim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The commonest cause of the iPad returning to the Home screen is an 'out of RAM' (system memory). If an app unexpectedly runs out of RAM then the app usually has no option but to quit. But this shouldn't happen - particularly with an iPad2, which has 512 MB RAM as compared to the iPad1's 256 MB. Try to keep a note of whether it always occurs with the same app (could be a bug, so you'd need to contact the Developer) or whether it occurs completely at random and in any app at any time, in which case it could be a hardware fault. But let's not go there yet and we'll perservere with the 'investigation' of the problem.

Tim

Dear Tim,
At first thought it was app bug but I found that it occurs randomly in any apps and any time... It was just too random. That is why it bothers me... :(

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One last thought - try a reboot. Switch the iPad off, then press the Home and Power buttons together for an extended time until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then reboot. I doubt it will fix the problem, but it can't do any harm. Are there any apps that are not affected by this problem?

Tim

OP
W

wincylim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
One last thought - try a reboot. Switch the iPad off, then press the Home and Power buttons together for an extended time until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then reboot. I doubt it will fix the problem, but it can't do any harm. Are there any apps that are not affected by this problem?

Tim

Dear Tim,
I'm not very sure which apps are not affected but it will return to home screen even when I'm using iBook, safari, note plus, gun bros and etc. Btw, reboot will erase off all the apps in the iPad? So I have to back up all the apps n files in iTunes?

Thanks

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Dear Tim,
I'm not very sure which apps are not affected but it will return to home screen even when I'm using iBook, safari, note plus, gun bros and etc. Btw, reboot will erase off all the apps in the iPad? So I have to back up all the apps n files in iTunes?

Thanks
A reboot won't erase anything and is very safe and a good idea if nothing else has worked so far.

FWIW your iPad backs up everything each time it connects to iTunes. Worst case if you ever lost any or all of your apps they are still available from the App Store to download again at no charge.

What you're seeing is very odd behavior indeed. A reboot might cure it. If not, it would be time to contact Apple Support.

Tim may have some more to add.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.

OP
W

wincylim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richsadams said:
A reboot won't erase anything and is very safe and a good idea if nothing else has worked so far.

FWIW your iPad backs up everything each time it connects to iTunes. Worst case if you ever lost any or all of your apps they are still available from the App Store to download again at no charge.

What you're seeing is very odd behavior indeed. A reboot might cure it. If not, it would be time to contact Apple Support.

Tim may have some more to add.

Best of luck and let us know how things go.

Okay.. I will let you guys know after I reboot it... Thanks a lot...

OP
W

wincylim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey there,
i bumped into the mac shop and the technician asked me to upgrade my ios to 4.3.5 ( previously 4.3.3)
but the problem still occur. so i decided to send in my ipad2 again. and they found it is hardware problem and will be replacing a new one for me. =)

Thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts