What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 6.1 JB Problem

mindovermedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had an issue with my wifi connection so i resetted network settings as usual to resolve the issue. To my suprize ipad2 is stuck to apple logo forever. The device can be recognized from itunes an ifunbox so i made a backup at least. Can somebody help me so as to spare another restore?

SikYou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try holding the power button and the home button together for a few minutes until the screen turns off. Once the screen is off plug in to itunes and then hold the up volume button and the power button at the same time for a minute or 2 and see if it boots, if not you may have to get in to recovery mode and do a recovery.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most likely you have an incompatible tweak. If you have Substrate Safe Mode installed (comes with SBSettings if you installed that as well), you can put your device into Safe Mode and delete the incompatible tweak using Cydia. Otherwise, you'll most likely have to restore and rejailbreak to make sure all the components are removed from your device.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Most likely you have an incompatible tweak. If you have Substrate Safe Mode installed (comes with SBSettings if you installed that as well), you can put your device into Safe Mode and delete the incompatible tweak using Cydia. Otherwise, you'll most likely have to restore and rejailbreak to make sure all the components are removed from your device.

I just want to add a slight correction, here. With apologies, but Mobile Safe Mode is auto-installed if you install MobileSubstrate. MobileSubstrate is a tweak written by Jay Freeman (aka saurik, owner of Cydia) to allow various tweaks (SBSettings being one of them) a way to "hook" into the functionality/operating system of the iDevice.

Saurik developed Mobile Safe Mode as a feature to allow for an easy way to get into safe mode (a lot of people were crashing their iToys, but hadn't installed a way to get INTO safe mode - so they couldn't get out of the crash to fix it, so they were stuck with the crash ... which usually ended up with them having to restore. Now that the tweaks that require MobileSubstrate to run (which are the ones that would cause the crashes 99.9% of the time) also auto-install Mobile Safe Mode - many, many people can fix crashes versus having to restore.

As most tweaks that work with the file system of the iDevice require MobileSubstrate to work, saurik added the Mobile Safe Mode as an auto-add when MobileSubstrate is downloaded (it's by default - you can't get one without the other). MobileSubstrate is listed as a dependency on many tweaks, including SBSettings, so it gets loaded along with the tweak. But, you can install it separately and you don't have to install SBSettings to have it - many other tweaks will install Mobile Substrate as a condition of their download/install.

Pontificating over. This is just so's you know.... :)

Marilyn

OP
M

mindovermedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help and Marilyn for pointing this out. The fact is that none of the known methods worked for me i.e tiny umbrella, volume up etc. and i ended up making a restore.. The ironic is that i rejailbreaked, resetted the network settings again and the ipad did switch on..I wish there was another real useful tool to get out of this awful stuck boot loop

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@Marilyn, just throwing it out there so that users get a habit of downloading either SBSettings or Mobile Substrate as a starting tweak. Told my colleagues "before you start downloading anything from Cydia, install SBSettings first before anything else" (because they can't remember substrate for some reason...) They come back the next day after the jailbreak and go "hey I'm stuck on the Apple logo but my PC doesn't read it as in recovery mode or anything". I ask if they installed SBSettings or MobileSubstrate, they say no. I proceed to slam my face on my desk repeatedly.....

OP
M

mindovermedia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
speaking about me sbsettings was the first thing i downloaded of course after the "onslaught" ended..:)

Most reactions

Latest posts