What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2/3 components in an ipad 1 shell?

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe I'm beginning to think like Frankenstein. Let me know what y'all think about this. So I'm hopeful in getting an iPad 3 upon its release. Rumors speculate it to look like the iPad 2, but contain upgraded components such as the A6 processor and retina display. One of the main reasons I did not sell my iPad and get the iPad 2 was because of the exterior design; I begin can't tell you how much I hate it. So I asked myself, if the iPad 3 looks like the iPad 2 would I upgrade because of the major hardware jump from the iPad 1 despite hating how it feels in my hands, or keep my iPad 1 because I like the design. The I thought, why not the best of both?

So my plan is to get the iPad 3, carefully disassemble it, buy an outer shell for the ipad 1 and reassemble the iPad 3 within the shell. My main concerns are:
-drilling the hole in the outer shell for the cam
-making sure all the screws for the components lineup similarly in both shells
-the volume, lock, and rotate buttons on the side lining up (though I could buy these parts from the 1st gen and switch them out)
-since the 1st gen shell is thicker, there will be space between the shell and components

So let me know what you all think of my ludicrous idea, and if there is anything else I should think about before I think of attempting this. Also I know, anything related to the iPad 3 is speculation, so for all current purposes, just assume I'm talking about putting iPad 2 components in the iPad 1 shell.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds ludicrous, as you say. But if that's what floats your boat, good luck to you.

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
Why do you hate the 2? the original is clunky by comparison.

To me thinner isnt better, I hate the angle on the side of the ipad2, like how the volume and lock buttons are angled. I've used both for an extended period of time, and I greatly prefer the way the first gen feels in my hands

OP
Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Sounds ludicrous, as you say. But if that's what floats your boat, good luck to you.

I know right, this could turn out either really well or a waste of $600+

Most reactions

Latest posts