What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1st gen Won't charge

Daveski7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad mini won't charge
It doesn't turn on
It won't connect with iTunes
I've tried a reset by pressing power&home button for 10secs
Still nothing
It doesn't make any sounds at all
Nothing shows up on the screen
Is there anything I can do ??
Please help
Regards David

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Force starting (resetting) needs more than 10 seconds, mostly. The instruction says: at least 10 seconds, so it might take more time than these. Try the procedure again, maybe it will show the logo earlier than 10 seconds (not very likely), maybe it will need 20 seconds and longer.

If force starting doesn't help, take a look at iTunes on your computer. The latest version should be 12.5.2. If it isn't, update iTunes.
Update your computer.
Use a different USB port when you plug in your iPad. Disconnect every other USB device.
If iTunes still doesn't show your iPad, try another computer.

Your last option would be to contact Apple or take your device to the next Apple Store, so that the experts there can take a look at it.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This sounds like a PMIC failure. The Power Managemnt Integrated Circuit is a common failure in the first generation iPad mini. Using a third party charger and / or cable can cause this issue. Unfortunately it is not economically feasible to repair the issue as it is a chip on the logic board that requires micro soldering to repair.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It might be possible that the Ipad's battery got so old it no longer holds a charge. Im not sure what the life cycle of the rechargable battery in ipad mini's are though.

Most reactions