What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 quality?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always been impressed with Apple hardware - it's always very sturdy and looks great. However, now being on my third iPad 1 within a year, I'm starting to wonder if longevity of the device is going to be an issue... My original iPad 1 had a screen blemish that developed (about the size of a pea). Drove me crazy - got a refurb - it had bluetooth radio issues - got another refurb - it too actually has a small blemish on the screen! THis blemish is small enough and right at the edge, so I can live with it (I don't want to have to go back and get yet another refurb - who knows what issues it would have!), but I'm really starting to wonder how the iPad is going to stand up to time now!

Anyone else with similar (or contrasting) stories?

EDIT: Then a guy I work with has brought me two iPod Touch's - both about a year old - and both were dead! Is Apple hardware starting to go downhill??

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
In my home we own an iPhone4, an iPhone3GS, three iPod Nanos, an iPad1, and an iPad2 and have not had a single hardware issue ever. Even if I started having problems today you couldn't convince me that Apple makes shoddy hardware. Too many years of exceptional quality products to change my mind at this point. But, don't get me started on Dell laptop batteries... horror stories galore with those.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always been impressed with Apple hardware - it's always very sturdy and looks great. However, now being on my third iPad 1 within a year, I'm starting to wonder if longevity of the device is going to be an issue... My original iPad 1 had a screen blemish that developed (about the size of a pea). Drove me crazy - got a refurb - it had bluetooth radio issues - got another refurb - it too actually has a small blemish on the screen! THis blemish is small enough and right at the edge, so I can live with it (I don't want to have to go back and get yet another refurb - who knows what issues it would have!), but I'm really starting to wonder how the iPad is going to stand up to time now!

Anyone else with similar (or contrasting) stories?

EDIT: Then a guy I work with has brought me two iPod Touch's - both about a year old - and both were dead! Is Apple hardware starting to go downhill??

Although I've only had my iPad1 for about 6 months, I've had not a single problem with it. No screen issues, no software issues, no problems with apps, nothing. I use it several hours every day too - both at home and on the move and carry it around with me without any special precautions.

No complaints from me at all.

Tim

OP
J

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Although I've only had my iPad1 for about 6 months, I've had not a single problem with it. No screen issues, no software issues, no problems with apps, nothing. I use it several hours every day too - both at home and on the move and carry it around with me without any special precautions.

No complaints from me at all.

Tim

Keep in mind that I had ZERO issues with my original iPad either, until it was about 11 months old - that's when I started to notice the screen blemish... It became slightly worse over the last month or so until I eventually took it in for the first refurb...

Hopefully, my iPad issues were isolated incidents... Time will tell, I guess!

Thanks for the replies!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bummer. I think you've had bad luck. Things can go wrong with electronics, even from a good brand.

Apple seems to still keep customers happy, though, according to annual satisfaction surveys that cover all types of industries. If they did that mainly by increasingly replacing lemons, presumably they would have to declare that type of cost on their annual statements. No word on such that I've heard.

I've never owned a Mac, but I like iOS mobile devices. So far, I've bought five iPads, four iPods, three iPhones and a touch (some were gifts) over the years. They're all still going strong. I even dropped my iPad 1 on a concrete floor months ago and just ended up with a nearly invisible dent on one corner. I've used used it extensively for 13 months and it's still working fine.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm with the rest. Ipad1, iPhone, 2 iPod touches. No problems yet, touching head.

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my IPad since last July without a single issue. We own 2IP4 , 2 Mac pro (s) and an IMac with no issues. Apple products are built solid and simple.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too, various macs, lots of iPods, iPhone and iPad and so far, no failures or faults........crosses fingers while touching wood!

The Archangel

Good karma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 3 apple mobile devices, starting in 2008 for the 1st one, and touch wood i never had any issues, and hope it stays that way. Matter of fact the apple produtcs have given me the most satisfaction, which is why i am getting a mac book pro andnget rid of the window computer now which is total pain

Most reactions

Latest posts