What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 owners, will you be getting the iPad 2?

Will you be upgrading?

• Totally, gotta have the new thing!

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • No thanks, I'll be getting my money's worth out of the original.

Votes: 87 66.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
If you restore it with iTunes then they can't get anything. A restore erases everything so there is no way to get any info. Just do a restore and don't activate the iPad. That way whoever gets it won't have it registered with your apple ID.

I think the question was asking, whether it is possible to let the new owner of the iPad use the already bought apps as well, not how to prevent it. Anyway, since apps are registered to your Apple ID this is really only possible, if you know the other person and trust them enough to give them your account password, otherwise they cannot update your apps.

What you would have to do is activate your Apple account on their iTunes. Then they can use their own apps, as well as yours.

Regarding the second question, just sync the new iPad with itunes, it will install all apps automatically.

Last edited:

burrwick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
If you restore it with iTunes then they can't get anything. A restore erases everything so there is no way to get any info. Just do a restore and don't activate the iPad. That way whoever gets it won't have it registered with your apple ID.

Thanks for the reply but what if the purchaser wants to purchase the apps as well? That doesn't seem possible unless my ID stays with the iPad which of course I don't want.

burrwick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
I think the question was asking, whether it is possible to let the new owner of the iPad use the already bought apps as well, not how to prevent it. Anyway, since apps are registered to your Apple ID this is really only possible, if you know the other person and trust them enough to give them your account password, otherwise they cannot update your apps.

What you would have to do is activate your Apple account on their iTunes. Then they can use their own apps, as well as yours.

Regarding the second question, just sync the new iPad with itunes, it will install all apps automatically.

Thank you...didn't see this response when I replied above. So if I synced to their computer but after that they established their own Apple iTunes account and started using it they wouldn't get any updates for the apps left on the iPad when it was under my ID? doesn't sound feasible or worth the trouble.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is correct - I don't think there is any way to "transfer" apps from one owner to another...

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
burrwick said:
Thank you...didn't see this response when I replied above. So if I synced to their computer but after that they established their own Apple iTunes account and started using it they wouldn't get any updates for the apps left on the iPad when it was under my ID? doesn't sound feasible or worth the trouble.

Yep. Their account, not yours. I'm sure you could sign in and get them the apps then they could sign in but if you got updates for the apps that you gave them you would have to sign in.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Passed on replacing my HP 2140 mini this past January in favor of banking those dollars toward the replacement of my IPad with an IPad 2. For my specific use the increased CPU speed along with the 9x refresh rate of the screen fixes two of my important issues with my current IPad usage. The HDMI out to my HDTV will also be an interesting feature to take advantage of for presentations when needed.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buying the new one as I can use the camera.
Plus I like the speed boost and increased ram.
All the rest is iceing on top.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Ipad1. When the 2 comes out if it is the same prices I will consider getting the 2 and handing down the 1 to my wife. Next year when the 3 comes out my wife gets the 2 and one of the kids gets the 1.... etc

I love it..lol. I told my woman the same thing. I want the ipad 2 and ill give her my ipad. U know what she said basically, f$&@? That, i want the ipad 2, not ur handme downs..lmfao. I just SMDH and said u aint even master the ipad1 yet n how u gonna jump to 2. I said ull get ipad2 once i get ipad3..lol

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:

Now i got a question, very similar. What if i get an ipad2 n keep my ipad1, and want the same apps loaded on the new ipad2? Will ipad2 require new apple id and password or will it stay the same? If it stays the same will all i have to do is sync new ipad to my itunes or juss try to redoenload all 193 apps i have from the app store? Of course not having to buy them all over again. Thats my only worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Now i got a question, very similar. What if i get an ipad2 n keep my ipad1, and want the same apps loaded on the new ipad2? Will ipad2 require new apple id and password or will it stay the same? If it stays the same will all i have to do is sync new ipad to my itunes or juss try to redoenload all 193 apps i have from the app store? Of course not having to buy them all over again. Thats my only worry.

You can connect and sync an unlimited amount of devices via iTunes. So all you do is restore the backup on iPad 2, or set it up as a new device, in which case iTunes would install all previously bought apps, but wouldn't copy over settings, game progresses, etc..

Not sure about Cydia apps, there seem to be apps which allow syncing them via iTunes, but i haven't found any that work on 4.2.1. So you might have to redownload those.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps some of you need a friendly (or not so friendly!) reminder that the discussion of cracked apps or pirated software is strictly prohibited on this forum!

Most reactions

Latest posts