What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 on 5.1.1 - Safe to Erase/Restore/etc?

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Supposing I already have a jailbroken iPad 1 on 5.1.1. Since the highest IOS version number for the iPad 1 is 5.1.1 which is jailbreakable, does it mean that I can restore / erase / do anything I want at will and my jailbreak will not be lost?

Thanks!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When you restore any iOS device, it re-installs a fresh copy of iOS onto your device, meaning everything on your device will be wiped completely. You can of course re-jailbreak after a restore, but you'd have to backup your device and your jailbroken content separately, restore, then restore the backed up data after re-jailbreaking the device.

If you're looking to just wipe your device clean but keep the jailbreak, you can opt for ILEX R.A.T. option 12 outlined here, so that you won't have to restore, rejailbreak. You will, however, still have to backup to iTunes and backup your Cydia tweaks if you choose to do a complete wipe.

OP
K

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! What I was asking is, for iPad 2 and above, it will restore to 7.0.3, which is not jailbreakable. However, since the iPad 1 only supports up till 5.1.1, that means that any restore will still leave it as 5.1.1 which is jailbreakable. Does that therefore mean that the iPad 1 can be freely restored since it will permanently be jailbreakable?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! What I was asking is, for iPad 2 and above, it will restore to 7.0.3, which is not jailbreakable. However, since the iPad 1 only supports up till 5.1.1, that means that any restore will still leave it as 5.1.1 which is jailbreakable. Does that therefore mean that the iPad 1 can be freely restored since it will permanently be jailbreakable?

In brief, yes. You can always restore an iPad 1 with a "fresh" version of iOS 5.1.1. And, iOS 5.1.1 is jail breakable. So, yes.

In fact, I'd recommend a fresh restore every now and then, keeping it nice and clean.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts