What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 1 -> IPad 2 Sim card?

xardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know if you'll just be able to put your old sim card from IPad 1 in the new IPad2 and continue service without doing anything else?

vvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to this question, does anybody know if the new iPad 2 is locked to AT&T or I can use it with any GSM carrier? IPad 1 3G was not locked as I know.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In addition to this question, does anybody know if the new iPad 2 is locked to AT&T or I can use it with any GSM carrier? IPad 1 3G was not locked as I know.

From the Apple online store:

"iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G Connects to the Internet via Wi-Fi and over 3G cellular networks with AT&T or Verizon Wireless. (3G service sold separately.) Select the model that corresponds with the carrier you'd like to use for 3G service. The iPad you choose is configured to work only with one carrier."

Reaction score
tzimisce said:
From the Apple online store:

"iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G Connects to the Internet via Wi-Fi and over 3G cellular networks with AT&T or Verizon Wireless. (3G service sold separately.) Select the model that corresponds with the carrier you'd like to use for 3G service. The iPad you choose is configured to work only with one carrier."

Considering Apple only views AT&T and Verizon as network providers, an AT&T iPad might very well work with any other provider. Don't see why they would restrict it, but then again I don't know how it is handled in the US. The UK version definitely won't be tied to one provider.

Abrennan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eyepadulation.com
I am hoping it is hassle free and we can just swap sims. When I bought my sim I didn't have to give any ipad details, it was activated whilst I waited at the shop (telstra, in Australia ) and when I got home I put it in my device and it worked straight away. So I am hoping I can just pop it iPad 2 and off we go

Abrennan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eyepadulation.com
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Considering Apple only views AT&T and Verizon as network providers, an AT&T iPad might very well work with any other provider. Don't see why they would restrict it, but then again I don't know how it is handled in the US. The UK version definitely won't be tied to one provider.

Same here in Australia we are not locked in to any particular provider. Hopefully that means I ca swap my sim into my iPad 2. I will ask the telco closer to the event and report. Months out they are notoriously ignorant of these things.

Most reactions

Latest posts