What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 1: How to convert demo build to standard retail build?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi

An ipad newbie here.

I bought an ipad 1 (16GB Wifi) which was originally a demo model. Now before you say how I got one, here is the answer. I am a staff of that company and got good staff discount on remaining units - so I bought one.

But being a demo model, iOS has some limitation like it is not allowing me to delete preloaded apps (which is taking up lots of space). Reverting to factory setting takes me back to same demo build!

Is there any way to load the device with clean standard iOS?

Thanx

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum!

There are several apps that come with the iOS and can not be deleted, sorry.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

An ipad newbie here.

I bought an ipad 1 (16GB Wifi) which was originally a demo model. Now before you say how I got one, here is the answer. I am a staff of that company and got good staff discount on remaining units - so I bought one.

But being a demo model, iOS has some limitation like it is not allowing me to delete preloaded apps (which is taking up lots of space). Reverting to factory setting takes me back to same demo build!

Is there any way to load the device with clean standard iOS?

Thanx

If you just want to delete apps - then that is a restriction you can remove.

'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions' (if it's set you'll need the passcode) and then you can remove the restriction that's preventing you from deleting the apps and anything else that's been set up.

No need to reload iOS or anything as extreme as that.

If the Restrictions passcode is set, you'll need to get that from your company - there's no way to bypass that.

Tim
Scotland

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no Restriction menu under General!

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I called apple support and they asked me restore again and it worked this time.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Glad you got it sorted; I've never come across an iPad without 'Restrictions' under 'General'. Was this something that was specially put there for your company?

Tim

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When a retailer sells ipads in store, they need to keep few models on display for customers to test. These were all loaded with demo iOS build (which restricts many operations). For examples, icons won't wiggle when you press them and you can't remove any preinstalled apps.

:)

Happy that now it is back to normal.

Asem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help

can you help me please. I have the same problem but I do not know how did you restore it.
I have demo Ipad II and have the same problem which you had.
Help please
Thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you try to plug the iPad in to iTunes and then hit the restore button? That is the only way I know - and the way the OP solved it.

Marilyn

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Demo units from Apple ship with a profile installed that limits what you can do, and removes a number of standard functions. You need to install a version of iOS in Recovery mode to erase this profile.

Most reactions

Latest posts