What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 crashing ??

novicerover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most annoying when half way through a project you find you are looking at a page of icons again.! As the flaming thing has crashed without warning.
I've tried all sorts to rectify ,pressing both buttons to reboot etc and finally restoring to default via iTunes . Slightly improved for a while but back to square one . There was problem when new but it started doing this around 12 month ago !!
Any ideas apart from sticking it in the binn ?
Bought a Envy 7 Android tablet in the meantime which is fine ,but slow !!

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad1 does, compared to the latest versions, have significant memory restrictions. It appears that to continue to use that type of work on it, you will need to look at available memory now and also take steps to eliminate memory-eating apps and records. And it may well be that you will need to consider an iPad with a greater capacity.

OP
N

novicerover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you !! this could be the answer as I have two pages of apps at present. I will look at the most demanding an get rid of some of the least used ones .Cheers !!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you !! this could be the answer as I have two pages of apps at present. I will look at the most demanding an get rid of some of the least used ones .Cheers !!

As a reminder, The OB was speaking of greater capacity in terms of RAM, not in storage. The iPad1 was made with only 256K of RAM, which is the memory used to run apps (and the system). The later iPads got more RAM so they don't crash as much.

RAM, the smallness of that is making your iPad1 crash, has nothing to do with storage (whether it's a 16, 32, or 64GB). You can have the iPad1 filled up with apps, or not, it makes no difference on whether it will crash due to low RAM. Storage and RAM are two separate memories.

Just so's you know that you don't have to remove all your apps ... cause it won't make any difference. To make the iPad1 run better (in this case) means that it needs more RAM. But, you can't give it more RAM. Thus, The OB's comment that you'll need to have greater capacity - meaning you'll need to get a [newer generation] iPad with more RAM.

Marilyn

OP
N

novicerover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a reminder, The OB was speaking of greater capacity in terms of RAM, not in storage. The iPad1 was made with only 256K of RAM, which is the memory used to run apps (and the system). The later iPads got more RAM so they don't crash as much.

RAM, the smallness of that is making your iPad1 crash, has nothing to do with storage (whether it's a 16, 32, or 64GB). You can have the iPad1 filled up with apps, or not, it makes no difference on whether it will crash due to low RAM. Storage and RAM are two separate memories.

Just so's you know that you don't have to remove all your apps ... cause it won't make any difference. To make the iPad1 run better (in this case) means that it needs more RAM. But, you can't give it more RAM. Thus, The OB's comment that you'll need to have greater capacity - meaning you'll need to get a [newer generation] iPad with more RAM.

Marilyn

Thank you , just a point !! If that is the case why didn't taking it back to default setting cure the problem ??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you , just a point !! If that is the case why didn't taking it back to default setting cure the problem ??

Unfortunately, some apps just require a lot of RAM to run. When you combine the RAM needed to run the basic iPad functions with the RAM needed to run some apps, the iPad1 is just not able to do it, no matter how many times you clear out all running apps or restart/reset the iPad.

Again, in electronics time, the iPad1 is o-l-d. Most developers are developing for the iPads that can handle larger RAM apps. Those that stay with the iPad1 (because it still is a GREAT device) just have to know that some apps just will not run well on it ... or at all.

Marilyn

OP
N

novicerover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to say thank you fall for your help .have to treat myself to a later model in the future and retire the iPad 1

chingching

iPF Noob
Reaction score
YesYesYes
Jailbreak apps can makes iPad crashing too ;) I love apple
Hope apple product never replaced like Nokia :)
I'm apple lovers , maybe will replaced with windows phone only
I dislike android or google phone
No n never...
Windows phone vs IPad for me

chingching

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interesting acer new tablet! It's great support flash! I don't need pc again with acer tablet!
Apple vS Acer hijihihi

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interesting acer new tablet! It's great support flash! I don't need pc again with acer tablet!
Apple vS Acer hijihihi

Well...I owned an Acer A500 and was disappointed with it's performance. It's nice to hear that it has shown some improvements since I last had mine.

chingching

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well...I owned an Acer A500 and was disappointed with it's performance. It's nice to hear that it has shown some improvements since I last had mine.

I mean acer s7 ultra book new 13.3imch tablet......... Windows8 perform,,,.....
I forgot one pDA phone tablet the highest price of windows mobile tablet made in Europe!
Play counter strike and Warcraft at tablet.
Amazing!

Dedzdedz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 1st generation iPad, yes it does crash, but only when i'm playing games, apart from that i can't complain, anyway, i use Keynote, numbers, notability, pages, Google drive, and other lot's of productivity apps... If the iPad crashes it will be once in awhile, still, when it crashes my work is saved :).
So why buy a new iPad already? As long as this one works i'll stick to it!
Got it jailbroken, installed a couple tweaks! ;)

André

Sent from my iPad using Tapaltalk

Jailbroken iPad 64gb 3G & WiFi
iPhone 3Gs 8gb

Dedzdedz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
YesYesYes
Jailbreak apps can makes iPad crashing too ;) I love apple
Hope apple product never replaced like Nokia :)
I'm apple lovers , maybe will replaced with windows phone only
I dislike android or google phone
No n never...
Windows phone vs IPad for me

"Jailbreak apps" makes iPad crash? Well my iPad used to crash a lot before i did the jailbreak and installed some tweaks.
The trick is:
Do not install WINTERBOARD, DREAMBOARD and apps or tweaks that are made to edit the way IOS looks.
Remove spotlight search with a tweak called "Spot remover" ( you can find it in cydia )
Install icleaner from cydia;
Install "terminal", "cuc" (clean up crap) and "lang2ez"... (in cydia)

André

Sent from my iPad using Tapaltalk

Jailbroken iPad 64gb 3G & WiFi
iPhone 3Gs 8gb

msdawn113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the original iPad and it keeps throwing my out of the apps. Any answers

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts