What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 App update problems

ggh47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A friend's iPad 1 has developed a problem which causes apps to be inoperable. When she responded to an update notice, iOS 6 was requested and the app froze. She talked with Apple and were of no help, only suggesting that she ignore future app updates. Any other experience this? Any solutions?

johnbergsing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I question whether or not she actually talked to Apple support. I've dealt with them on a few occasions and they have never given such poor support. Anyway, sas she tried to restore the iPad to a new device?

WaTcH Ur SiX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After a while, Apple stops updating older devices so that you cant download apps and have to buy the latest hardware.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 1 doesn't get iOS 6. Its firmware upgrades stopped at 5.1.1, so any app updates that require higher firmware won't work. That's probably why tech support told your friend to ignore future updates -- because she won't be able to update.

If an app is hung up, try restarting or resetting her iPad. Restarting and resetting are two diff things, so if restart doesn't work, try reset:
iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

If not, your friend might try restoring her old app from backup, if she has made a backup via iTunes on her computer.

No guarantee that these approaches will work. It might just be an app that is not retrievable, like if the developer stopped supporting older versions. It's hard to say, depending on the app, because some app developers are one guy who had free time, and some are big enterprises. I was using an app I liked a lot, for instance, contacted the developer with a request and learned that the app was just something he monkeyed around with for experience, and he'd moved on.

Most reactions

Latest posts