What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 and 4G

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you, 3G is 3G, and 4G is often just a hype word made up by cellular companies to imply faster speeds. As far as the actual format, gsm, hspa, etc. I don't know the technical compatibilities.

Let's see if someone here has the hard facts :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The term HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access) is a variant of the GSM 3G standards and is most usually termed 3.5G. It is definitely 'specmanship' to try to term this 4G - which is an entirely different standard.

HSDPA provides an adaptive modulation strategy that dynamically assesses the link quality and adjust the data modulation (encoding) to optimise the data rate. Data rates of several megabits per second are possible with HSDPA. The iPad fully supports this protocol.

Tim

OP
Bruce S

Bruce S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim:
The regional provided here is MTS ( Manitoba Telephone System). What they call 4G is suppose provide up to 20 Mbps download.
See link:

http://www.mts.ca/portal/site/innovations/hspa/?vgnextoid=30656d3806bbd210VgnVCM1000002a040f0aRCRD

Last May I got a Novatel MC998d USB cellar Internet stick and a MoFi 3G WiFi Router to stick the stick in. The sales person said it was suppose to provide 4G with the 20 Mbps download speed. Off of certain cell towers I can get up to 9 Mbps. At my house in the living room I get 2 Mbps, with the stick in the back window I get 4 to 7 Mbps depending the the time of day (7 Mbps at 4 am, 4 Mbps at 4 pm). Found out later that because I got the 1 Gb plan instead of the $75 unlimited plan I do not get 4G speed.
See link:

http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wire...il+and+surf+plans+for+internet+express+sticks

I am tempted to try their micro/sim in my iPad and see if I get 4G service with the 20 Mbps download speed, but believe it or not the local MTS store does not have cellar service. When complaining about my service I seen the sales guy go outside the store to test out a cell phone. Go figure.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts