1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Ipad 1 3g help

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by pastorjosh, Sep 13, 2011.

1. pastorjosh

pastorjosh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Am so new to the iPad world I can't figure out how to make the 3G work. It never asked me to set it up when I started, and now I am a bit lost. What do I need to do? Thanks
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,726 / 0
    Go to your Settings app. On the left side, you'll see a line "Cellular Data." Pressing it brings up the Cellular Data info on the right side (all this with the iPad in landscape mode).

Turning on the cellular data (e.g. 3G) is done in there. I don't remember exactly what it says (cause my account is on - and I can't turn it off). But, if I remember correctly, once you get to the Cellular Data area, there is a button to push to activate the 3G.

I hope this helped. Good luck.

Marilyn
  3. pastorjosh

pastorjosh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok. I have tried that. It asks me to set up an account, then asks me for an email and password. Where do I sign up? I don't have an account with AT&T not sure what to do next.
  4. pastorjosh

pastorjosh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My iPad is 64 gig ipad1. Can I use any carrier? It says AT&T when I open the cell radio. I am so lost.
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,976 / 1
    You can only set up an AT&T account. This is the only provider in the U.S. that works with the iPad 1 (at least for now). By going through the steps you will be creating that account for your iPad. No need to contact AT&T or go to a store. It is a data only account, though your iPad will assigned a phone number for tracking purposes you will not be able to call it or use SMS with it.

The best email address to use is your Apple ID. You should probably use a different password for security reasons, but that is up to you. This becomes your AT&T login for their site and other services.

Check AT&T's 3G coverage map before you create the account. Be a shame to set it up and not be able to use it.
  6. apple2011

apple2011 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It would be easy to set up an account,while the 3g service will be not free,hope you have known that...
    here is the guide for you to activate the 3g on your ipad:
    AT&T: How to set up a new Cellular Data account on iPad Wi-Fi + 3G
    good luck,.
  7. pastorjosh

pastorjosh iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, thanks for the info. The only problem is that when view cellular plan mine just asks for an email. It doesn't show all of that other stuff.
  8. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    If you're sure you have an AT&T iPad, you can call their 1-800 number and they probably can help you. I don't know the number offhand, but you can google it.

Sometimes you get a phone rep who doesn't know much. If that's the case, I'd suggest quickly ending the call and calling again, to try to get someone who knows. If you get the right person, they usually can quickly help.

When my new credit card expiration date didn't register despite my updating it on my iPad, I called and a rep was able to quickly help, restoring my ability to sign up for unlimited 3G via iPad, even though that's not an option that's offered any more. They can do stuff like that from their end. A previous time, my SIM card got corrupted or something, and another rep was able to isolate the problem. If they troubleshoot and figure out something's wrong with your SIM, they send you to an AT&T store for a free replacement. (They usually charge $15 for the SIM alone.)