What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1/2 to iPad 3???

zan5hin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I waited 6 months after the iPad 1 came out to buy it, but it has been attached to my hand ever since. I was thinking of selling it this week, but considering how long it took the guys to jailbreak the iPad 2, I thought I would hang on to it until there is a working iPad 3 jailbreak, which could still be six months away, seeming they have to work their way through the A5X processor as well as the iOS 5.1 update.

I will still buy the iPad 3 at launch. I never upgraded from my 3GS since I spend so much time on the iPad instead of the phone, so I can justify having two iPads for a while.

qnet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.network-creations.net
I haven't visited this forum in awhile. I'm pretty happy with my Ipad 2. I had the original Ipad and got the 2nd gen for more storage. It will be tempting but, I think I'll stick with my Ipad 2.

Bubsdaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 and an iPad 2. I sold my iPad 1 for $75 less than I paid for it after using it for a year. I will wait and see what the offerings are today. If the iPad 3 isn't all that much of an upgrade I'll be hoping for a price cut on iPad 2. I'll use a Best Buy gift card and the money from the sale of my iPad 1 to fund the purchase. It's good to have options I guess.

Happosaai

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will likely upgrade my ipad1 to the ipad3. Got mine a little less than a year ago(I should have waited for the ipad2), but damn is it useful.

jes1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i agree about not upgrading. Believe it or not I still have iPad 1! It is a little bulky but has a better battery. I can run all of the apps I need for work as well as for fun so I will stay put for now.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My black 64GB AT&T iPad 3 is on order. Plan to sell my original 64 GB wifi iPad 1 right after I've moved into my new digs. :D

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I literally just got the iPad 2 a couple weeks ago. I got the iPad 1 about 5 months before the 2 launched. So no upgrade planned for me anytime soon! If I hadn't gotten the 2 as a present, I would probably be getting the 3 in a few months. I could have had the 2 returned as I knew the 3 was ready for release within several weeks, but nope, I'm quite thrilled having my brand new 2, and for that matter, I still use my 1 as well. I certainly can't see having the 3 anytime soon for me, and perhaps maybe skip it altogether-can't predict the future. All I know is, my 2 is brand new and I'm enjoying every second of it and I don't even use the cameras, and the increased speed is nice, but I have no issue with the 1's speed for that matter so it's not like I'm going to be all bent that the 3's processor is quicker. The 1 runs more than efficiently for me as it is, but I don't mind the 2 being a bit quicker. Since the 1 and 2 are quite fast enough for me, a quicker processor is nice, but my bottom line is battery life, period, and both the 1 and 2 rock at that, so I'm good to go.

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPod 3 all the way...
As much as I love my iPod 2, the new display is a no brainier upgrade for me. It wasnt even debatable in my mind. The other upgrades are a note worthy as well. The screen is the most important interface between you and the devise. It's a big deal. This is not a iPod 2 1/2. There is no logical reason not to upgrade unless the cost is the issue. My iPod 2 is not going anywhere. My wife and kids will fight over it.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm underwhelmed by iPad 3, so am going to skip it.

I have 1 and 2 and like the convenience of swapping my unlimited 3G SIM back and forth when I need to grab whichever is fully charged before I head out the door. I like iPad 3's better screen, but that's the only real draw for me, and that's not enough to make it worthwhile for now.

I was ready to buy if tempted, but meh. I have an unused gift card that I probably won't be using for another year. (Unless Apple comes up with a 7" or 8" iPad, lol.)

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still wondering what all of those who were 'underwhelmed' or feel 'jipped' were expecting? A drastic screen upgrade, improved cameras, processor and GPU incremental update (in all likelihood more onboard RAM as well) among several other tweaks and changes....

The new Ipad is more of a step than the iPad 2 was?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still wondering what all of those who were 'underwhelmed' or feel 'jipped' were expecting? A drastic screen upgrade, improved cameras, processor and GPU incremental update (in all likelihood more onboard RAM as well) among several other tweaks and changes....

I wasn't expecting anything in particular. I figure it's Apple's job to tempt me, lol.

If I were buying a new iPad, I'd get the latest version now. But I already have 1 and 2, so I needed more compelling reasons to get a 3. I'm not keen on 4G, so that was a deal breaker for me.

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is there about 4G to not be keen on? (or rather...why would it be a deal breaker?) Sure, the network coverage for 4G could be sparse in some areas, however, it still has full 3G functionality and drastically improved data access where 4G is indeed available?

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
X2. Unless you want the next iPad made out of platinum, have a sd slot, play flash,and priced at $99.00. I don't get what would excite you in a tech toy??

Most reactions