What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS8 Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Husq I should say the issues are not just with my personal iPAD but with 70 machines that are all the identical spec but some are affected and others are not - the biggest problem is they must be the identical. The majority are all affected - albeit in some different way, the Wifi issue is the way they are/have been updated.

My personal issue has been looked at 3 times very carefully by Apple and the response was simple as I quoted earlier. I have tried everything that the forum has suggested with the exception of one and that was - using it as a paperweight until apple sort out the problem. The problem is theirs; it is not ours - there are millions of reasons as to why its happened but it comes down to one thing only. If the machines, we all bought don't work the way Apple say they should - if iOS 8 point whatever, does not do all the things they advertise it should then the fault lies squarely with Apple, not me or you.

Last edited:

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well i guess ya just never know. IOS 8.1.1 is out and while its not the fix all for me it seems a little better. Wish i too would have stayed with what wanst broke. Tried to get to the greener grass on the other side.

I obvoiusly spelled wasn't incorrectly on the line above. Ive now tapped it 7 times to get the correction. It simply wont and I made sure my spell check is on. So Im leaving it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you are having trouble with tap-to-select, sometimes it helps to zoom in a bit (with the pinch gesture) so you have a bigger target.

It's always been difficult to hit a single word in Safari when the fonts are small. It does seem a bit harder now.

You can also use the longer method of tap-hold until the magnifying glass appears, position the cursor somewhere in the word, then release. Tap Select from the popup menu, then, if it's available, the replace option. If you have the Predictive feature turned on, you'll get alternatives for the selected text there as well.

Of course, you may have tried all this and it doesn't work either, but I figured I'd mention them, just incase.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its the Wifi thats the biggest issue TP for me I've done everything recommended here and from other sources and it makes zero difference. Does anybody remember why most of us came to Apple in the first place; because they worked. They might have had a few wobbles along the way but it was put right in a few days.

I think whomever runs Apple nowadays has well and truly taken his foot off the pedal.
Just another thought, pilgrim, have you tried out someone else's iPad at your home? Trying to get back to basics and eliminating any common denominators.
You may well have a point regarding the new regime at Apple but the system is still streets ahead of Microsoft. I have so many issues with MS (not Marks & Sparks) and like you, I have the equivalent updated hardware and software. New PC & latest Windows 8.1. It's got to the point where I dread switching the infernal machine on wondering what problems are coming my way. Definite empathy but keep the faith. Good luck.
Mike

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well i guess ya just never know. IOS 8.1.1 is out and while its not the fix all for me it seems a little better. Wish i too would have stayed with what wanst broke. Tried to get to the greener grass on the other side.

I obvoiusly spelled wasn't incorrectly on the line above. Ive now tapped it 7 times to get the correction. It simply wont and I made sure my spell check is on. So Im leaving it.
Just installed 8.1.1 and letting things settle down before I drop a line about how it's doing.

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Husq I should say the issues are not just with my personal iPAD but with 70 machines that are all the identical spec but some are affected and others are not - the biggest problem is they must be the identical. The majority are all affected - albeit in some different way, the Wifi issue is the way they are/have been updated.

My personal issue has been looked at 3 times very carefully by Apple and the response was simple as I quoted earlier. I have tried everything that the forum has suggested with the exception of one and that was - using it as a paperweight until apple sort out the problem. The problem is theirs; it is not ours - there are millions of reasons as to why its happened but it comes down to one thing only. If the machines, we all bought don't work the way Apple say they should - if iOS 8 point whatever, does not do all the things they advertise it should then the fault lies squarely with Apple, not me or you.
Sorry about my last post as when I checked my alerts it took me to the page before and answered on that basisl please ignore.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mike,

its a whole gang of things, my own (iPad) is actually incidental - the others are all centralised through an Engineering office building with very expensive Wifi arrangements. I guess whoever decided to carry out the update immediately on the other machines should have waited but all were centralised and updated thats the way they have to work - I'm guessing we (Royal we (Me)) I've learnt a vital lesson but it still goes to show that Apple should not release something that does not work to boost the sales of launching a new phone (incidentally a great many iPhone 6 owners are equally annoyed). It would have done them far more good to say we are going to release the phone but not the the iOS yet - it is nowhere near ready - I would have respected them a damn sight more for that and then; lets pour avtur on the already burning fire, within the next few days the new CEO of Apple decided to make his announcement of just how wonderful iOS 8, his religion and his life was was!

There are some great people on here, all trying to help and some of the fixes work some of the times for that I am grateful but you don't put new engines and transmissions (sorry TP) into old cars if they are going to rip the wheels off them. I will not lose heart with Apple and yes I agree its still far better that anything else but it is not right.

Incidentally I just read:

iOS 8.1.1 is now available. It includes a number of bug fixes, improved overall stability, most importantly, performance improvements for older devices including the iPhone 4s and iPad 2.
Apple doesn’t elaborate any further on just how these improvements work, but even just words of something thats potentially better should be welcome news to iPhone 4s and iPad 2 owners.

My wife has an iPhone 4s and she hasn't had any problems with the iOS 8 upgrade at all -

They just don't get it - IT IS ABOUT CREDIBILITY APPLE.

Last edited:

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just my issues on WiFi for iPad. iPad has a very, very poor antenna. Found that out in our travels. Going to our winter location in AZ last year I found I could not connect with my iPad or got kicked of frequently. Very frustrating. I also had my 6 year old Windows lap top with me. No problem anywhere with it all winter. In the spot we are located in AZ I had to rent a cable ISP modem and pay monthly internet fees. Free WiFi was unbearable for the iPad. Low signal was available with my lap top however I didn't purchase the iPad so I had to sit next to someone else's router.
Doing a search I found out about the iPads poor antenna.

zzztechee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple does not quickly resolve the lethargic, unstable, dog dead slow pathetic
IOS 8 that cannot even keep a WIFi session without complete lockups and gridlock I AM GOING TO LOSE IT!

Apple was so stupid for putting this inadequately tested mess of an operating system
out so fast and then has done nothing but lie to people and scramble frantically to resolve innumerable real problems.

I hate whoever the Jack a. is who made the decision to deploy it. My iPad went from perfect with IOS 7 to pathetic and annoying to use. It is so messed up that it still displays
'IOS7'at top, that's how goofy it.

I chatted with Apple techs about the situation and instead of acknowledging and admitting that IOS 8 has real problems from A to Z, their final suggestion was to completely wipe my iPad and reload from scratch, with no promise that this would resolve it or that something worse could happen. Like I lose half my stuff.

So they email you mile long instructions on how to wipe your iPad clean and start from scratch.
Great! Just frigging great.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey - done that; 4 times without a jot of difference unless you are measuring in nano seconds. It is still as unstable as it was when released.

The good news is that Apple released Beta 8.2 which is all about iWatch apps development and the next one Beta 8.3 is about making the TV not work anymore work! And yes you will lose other stuff unless its on the cloud which I used to be able to work really well but is now its 'alles uber der platz' as a bloke from Apple told me in Hamburg yesterday.

I just get annoyed when people defend it - you buy something (very expensive really) to work - if it don't work you take it back - if they say it does work, or it will soon! When it actually doesn't - what do you do?

Bill I'm guessing its always had a poor Antenna and I don't live in the wilds of Az anymore and to be fair I could generally pick up some sort of cellular signal @3000' 100nm out over the North Sea but nowadays albeit the signal has not changed much Safari just isn't stable enough and it appears to me nobody cares. Now before everybody defending says it was not designed to be used like that I agree - but it did work before some clown decided iOS 8 would sell a few million more phones.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread has been closed as it has run its course. We meaning staff and members cannot resolve the OP Issues. We suggest the OP takes the problem up with Apple direct or via Apple communities.

Thank you

Col.bris Administrator ipad forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions