iOS8 on iPad Air - thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Goobs10, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    i upgraded to IOS 8.02 after doing a search about any outstanding issues and asking a friend who did it on 5S, Ipad AIR, Mini. Didn't have any outstanding issues until I tried to print. i cannot print from any native apps, no 3rd party apps, not through Printer Pro app. I checked for upgrade for HP 3511, a common printer but its up to date, wireless is connected to printer from Airport Express. So we have 4 devices not able to print (Air, Three, 2/5S). i did do a bug report to Apple.

The only other issue that is annoying is that I have to do a reset very often to keep things humming, Safari slows WAY down but I do tend to use a lot of apps togetherk cut and paste, pdfs, etc so hoping It will improve with more upgrades as the engineers catch the bugs.

I do think I will not be an early adopter again though--wait at least a month, maybe more before installing a firmware upgrade in the future.

2. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    So far so good for me and the rest of the family. My daughters who both have an iPad 2 have said that everything seems fine too. Safari is working fine for me and so is wifi. One thing we did notice is that several features that we used to have turned OFF got turned back ON. I've seen this before with OS updates but it was especially bad this time!

I had to go through each of our devices(4 total) and get everything back to being as they were. My one daughters ipad 2 was running slower than she was used to but turning off stuff and a reboot per se solved that.

Haven't done the latest update yet though. Soon. We are on 8.0.

3. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I updated my Air to 8.0 on day one, and I'm now on 8.0.2. Here are my issues.

Guided Access no longer functions since I updated to 8.0. I do the triple click, select Guided Access, but nothing happens. It works just fine on my iPhone 6, also on 8.0.2. I've tried various workarounds with no success, short of a complete restore, which I have no intention of doing given the apparent bugs with iCloud docs getting erased after restores.

My internet connection frequently drops over Wi-Fi. There is no consistent pattern as far as what is I'm doing when it happens. I'll be humming along and then no internet all of a sudden while the Wi-Fi connection is still there. My workaround is to hit airplane mode, turn airplane mode back off, then carry on.

4. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have to add that the instant personal hotspot connection to my iPhone is a glorious feature. My Air is a Verizon cellular model, and since updating to iOS 8 I have shut off my cellular access on my Air which will save me $10 per month. With such an easy cellular connection through the iPhone hotspot, paying an extra $130 for a cellular iPad seems completely unnecessary going forward. I hope prospective iPad buyers understand this feature when considering a cellular iPad.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I've been thinking about this myself. I only see three drawbacks.

No GPS on the iPad. I'm pretty sure the iPad won't be able to draw on the iPhone's GPS, at least for now.

Everything depends on the iPhone's battery. The iPhone gets low, you're done with iPad browsing. This is offset a bit if you have the better battery life of the iPhone 6 Plus, but if you do you'er probably carrying the iPad a lot less often. At least I am.

And, of course the big one, you must have an iPhone. Not everyone does.

None of these are show stoppers (well, except the last), and I may chose a non-cellular model next time; but for now I'm leaving my iPad Air connected to my carrier. At $10/mo I consider it a good backup connection to the internet.

6. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    You're right. It's funny, I don't ever imagine having one without the other. My iPhone and iPad to me are like one device, each extending the functionality and utility of the other.

You make good points. I haven't had a reason yet to need the GPS on my iPad myself, but I hadn't thought much about the battery drain on my iPhone.

7. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I'm a non iPhone owner so I qualify as one of those that still find the cellular support well worth it for the iPad. I don't use it that often but man oh man when I need it I'm so glad it's there! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. HappyPelican

HappyPelican
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    So far no issues on my iPad Air. I updated my 5S first and really liked it. I don't even care about losing my jailbreak since Apple has incorporated most of the functions I needed a jailbreak for.

9. ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I updated to iOS 8.1, and my issues with wi-fi internet connectivity and guided access seem to be fixed. Hooray!

10. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's good to hear OJK, as I was having the same problem. Haven't updated yet due to some time constraints but your post has eased the way. No worries!
    Andrew