What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS8 on iPad 4th gen- performance, bugs, lags?

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starting a new thread as I haven't been able to find any information about the performance of iOS8 on the 4th gen iPad.

Anyone who has upgraded, could you please share how the iPad4 performs after the upgrade? I am currently not sure whether to upgrade as the jump from ios6 to ios7 wasn't a happy one. Specifically, even ios 7.1.3 couldn't fix the orientation change lag with the keyboard on screen.

Look forward to your comments.

Thanks,

Rituraj

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I upgraded my iPad 4 on release day and I'm pretty happy with it.. The A6X chip is a beast and we have the same 1GB of RAM as the new hardware so I wouldn't worry too much. In fact, I feel like my battery life has even improved since the upgrade. iOS 8 however is still a little buggy but it's not related to the iPad hardware. Because I see the same bugs on my iPhone 6. I think it's due to apps not being updated for iOS 8.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread as I haven't been able to find any information about the performance of iOS8 on the 4th gen iPad.

Anyone who has upgraded, could you please share how the iPad4 performs after the upgrade? I am currently not sure whether to upgrade as the jump from ios6 to ios7 wasn't a happy one. Specifically, even ios 7.1.3 couldn't fix the orientation change lag with the keyboard on screen.

Look forward to your comments.

Thanks,

Rituraj
Don't worry about it and go ahead and upgrade. Once you've done that you will then know for yourself how it performs....which with very few exceptions is very well indeed. You see, when a few million people have upgraded, they will all not go onto a forum to say everything is fine. The small number with problems may do so though. And there is a very high probability that those problems will have solutions. And most of those solutions will be provided to you by a number of knowledgeable people on this forum.
So, hit that button, and while your iPad is updating, just sing to yourself..."don't worry, be happy":)
Andrew

iSkipper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I was just using Tapatalk and had open the iPad forum discussion when some of the discussions starting flashing as well as the menu bar at the bottom of the screen.

Pushed the home button but Tapatalk would not shut down. I then attempted to hold the on/off button to shut down the device and it would not respond.

Miraculously for reasons unknown it eventually shut itself down. Hopefully the data errors it created were sent to Apple for analysis?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Only if you allow it in Settings - Privacy - Diagnostics & Usage.

OP
riturajsharma19

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Well, I have been trying to download the update (1.85 GB) through iTunes, but keep getting the 'network timed out error'. I have already disabled the firewall and the antivirus software temporarily, but to no avail. As I type this, I am on my 5th attempt at the download.
Suggestions solicited.

Rituraj

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you're connected to the internet. Try to access a random website using a browser.

The latest version of iTunes is 11.4. If it's not up to date, then download and install it before updating.

OP
riturajsharma19

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes is updated, no issues with internet connectivity, yet the download keeps failing. Wonder why.

OP
riturajsharma19

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have anti-virus and/or a firewall installed, try turning them off. Be sure to turn them back on after the download, if it works.

I have already turned off the firewall and antivirus temporarily. The 7th attempt is in progress- 1.2GB downloaded already. Hope it gets downloaded this time.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi riturajsharma19. At this point I would simply forget about iTunes. Charge up your iPad, pour yourself a nice cup of tea, bring that and your iPad up nice and close to your modem/router and then via Settings, update your iPad OTA (over the air). After agreeing to the terms and conditions just let your iPad do its thing. Let's know how you got on. Myself, I don't hate too many things in this world, but I'm sorry to say iTunes is one of them. Just my opinion of course:p
Andrew

OP
riturajsharma19

riturajsharma19

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am happy to report that the 7th attempt has been successful :). The update is installed. I will post my initial impressions, bugs etc. later. Thanks for all the suggestions and responses.

update your iPad OTA (over the air). After agreeing to the terms and conditions just let your iPad do its thing. Let's know how you got on. Myself, I don't hate too many things in this world, but I'm sorry to say iTunes is one of them. Just my opinion of course:p
Andrew
Thanks Andrew. That is exactly what I will do when it's time to update again. Surely, the OTA process would have saved a lot of time and anxiety.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am happy to report that the 7th attempt has been successful :). The update is installed. I will post my initial impressions, bugs etc. later. Thanks for all the suggestions and responses.

Thanks Andrew. That is exactly what I will do when it's time to update again. Surely, the OTA process would have saved a lot of time and anxiety.
That's great that it worked out for you. When I got the "timed out message" trying to update via iTunes I simply did it OTA. But only after four tries as my patience compared to yours leaves a lot to be desired:oops:That's not to say that iTunes is useless, far from it, and it's a recommended way of upgrading if there are capacity problems on your iPad. And also, before any software upgrade it's a very good idea to back up your iPad onto your computer using iTunes, or any cloud-based storage. But I have never had a problem upgrading OTA. And will keep wondering what tunes or songs have to do with what we are are talking about:D
Andrew

Most reactions